Monday, May 28, 2007

I Need a Weekend!

My view of days of the week is shifting, now that I have a preschooler. Saturdays used to be the most relaxing days of the week. Now they're the days when we have a toddler home all day long, wanting to play. That's lovely and all, but when the child won't sleep in past 6:00 . . . I find school days - when I just have Ada for a few quiet morning hours - to be quite relaxing. And on Sundays, there's free nursery at church in the mornings. Paul is a very involved parent, but it's lovely to have little breaks, too.

So. Friday morning, Ellie, Ada, and I went to Grant's Farm with friends. Once again, Ellie loved it. Especially those eagles! This time she helped feed a bottle of milk to a baby goat. (Yes, I know they're called kids, but that's confusing.)

Friday evening, another friend took all 4 of us to the Cardinals-Nationals game. The Cards lost, but it was a great game and a wonderful time was had by all. I couldn't believe that both girls lasted for 9 innings. Of course, there was plenty of red for Ada to stare at, and we kept Ellie supplied with junk food.

All day Saturday, Ellie suggested that we "go bye-bye, go bye-bye."

Where do you want to go, sweetie?

"Ballgame!" she cried, complete with miming of batter swinging at pitch. She made do with t-ball in the driveway, after she and Daddy napped in the hammock for a couple of hours. We also bought a new fridge, went out for pizza, and had hours of fun with Quicken on Saturday. A budget! Imagine that.

On Sunday, after church, we spent the afternoon/evening at The Magic House and out to dinner with yet more friends. What a great weekend.

Today, we went to the St. Louis Renaissance Faire - without friends! Then had baseball friend over for a just-us BBQ this evening. We're all pretty wiped out. Ellie actually went to bed early, and, just as uncharacteristically, Ada had a little bit of a hard time winding down.


I didn't get the bathrooms cleaned, the baby toys washed, or laundry put away. Alas.


Also: mysterious spotting or never-ending lochia?

5 comments:

paulboal said...

A wonderful, lovely weekend it was... and then last night, Ellie decided to get up at 1am and not go back to sleep until nearly 3am. I'm sure that'll be mentioned in an upcoming post.

Still, it was a really great weekend. I had a great time.

Sarahlynn said...

I didn't recognize your new screen name at first, and thought you were Peripatetic Polar Bear. I was amazed at your almost creepy insight. Then I realized that the comment came from the guy alternating turns in the toddler room with me. Snore . . .

ccw said...

Sounds and looks like a fun and busy weekend.

The girls are beautiful!

Sarahlynn said...

I agree!

Belovedlife said...

Sounds like a crazy busy weekend...I can totally empathize with you...my kids only wnat to sleep in on days they have school weekends, they are up at the crack of dawn, can we play now, daddy...se I have my kids trained up! DO not wake mommy up, unless it is an emergency...I hear them anyway 50% of the time.
LOve, love love the baby renaissance outfit, how adorable!