Monday, March 05, 2007

More Thumb

This is the two-week anniversary of my thumb problems, and I'm happy to report that things are starting to improve.

I had made an appointment to see my doctor about the thumb on a Friday morning, but by Thursday night the pain was so bad - the constant throbbing would have kept me awake - that I went to the ER to have it lanced. "Do you want to do a culture?" the nurse asked the ER doctor. "Why bother?" he replied. "It's staph." So scary! But I asked about transmission and he was unconcerned. "I have staph, you have staph, she has staph . . . " I was just very unlucky.

Last Thursday marked the end of my 10-day course of amoxicillin, which didn't cure the infection.
From 2007-02

I've now had 2 days of my new antibiotic, Omnicef, and it seems to be helping! Wahoo!
From 2007-02

I'm thinking that this at home mom with two kids gig will be a breeze (hah!) once I can do it with two functional thumbs and no constant feminine bleeding. More on that later, perhaps. For now, I'll spare you. But childbirthing is not for wimps.

4 comments:

Mom said...

OW. I had that on my toe a month or so ago. Keflex worked and a lot of warm soaks. Eat your yogurt so that you don't get the dreaded antibiotic yeast infection afterward.

Good luck.

Canada said...

I'm glad they're on top of the thumb infection - not something you want to mess with, that's for sure.

As for the continuous post-childbirth bleeding, that was the moment of "oh my God, they made thong maternity underwear and I was so happy about it. But now I need to buy the damn granny panties anyway"!!!!

Moreena said...

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

But your "I have staph, you have staph, she has staph . . . " just had me rolling. The children's book of common infections! There's got to be an audience for that lighthearted topic.

Sarahlynn said...

Jan, I'll remember Keflex in case Omnicef doesn't do the trick. I'm still oozing pus but the bleeding is finally less, and the pain is much much better. I soak in warm water and Epsom Salt 2-3 times daily and I am taking plenty of acidiophilis to ward off excessive yeast. Thanks!

Canada, maternity thongs?! Say it isn't so.

Moreena, yes, there's nothing like a little friendly physician condescension to lighten a mood. I snicker every time my OB/GYN snaps on his gloves or picks up a speculum and warns me that I'm about to experience some pressure on my "bottom."