Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Grown-Ups for Real

The first time we went minivan shopping, Ellie was very disappointed when we went home in our Passat. After we'd decided on the Honda Odyssey* we went in to decide on a color, and Ellie sobbed when we left in the Passat. She also told us what color to get. "Ellie, should we get red or black?"

"Red!" Dark Cherry Pearl, to be precise. She rarely answers a direct question, unless with "No," or "OK," so this was significant.

Today we could hardly keep her from the parking lot while we signed papers inside. She loves the new car, and she hasn't even been introduced to the DVD player yet.

So, here we are loving our new car almost as much as we're loving our awesome 3.9% interest rate.


With one child, we could almost kid ourselves that we were the same people we used to be. But with two children and a minivan, well, I guess we're all grown up now!

*There's no debate about the top two cars in the minivan market: Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey. I know that Consumer Reports chose the Sienna over the Odyssey this year, but there are some features on the Odyssey that won me over.

One of the main things I wanted with a new vehicle was a quick and easy route from the front seats to the back. With the Sienna, there are two options: no center console or bulky center console, not easily removed. With the Odyssey, there's a center console that folds down against the passenger seat with the push of one button.

Honda also has this cool feature called Variable Cylinder Management, VCM, where some of the cylinders turn off at highway speeds, improving fuel economy. This is apparently as close as I can get to a hybrid minivan in the U.S.

Finally, there's the 8th seat. Sienna offers an 8 seat option, but only on its lower-end models, and the middle row captain's chairs are far less comfortable in the 8 seat configuration than in the more luxurious 7 seat model. Odyssey has incredibly comfortable captain's chairs in the middle row, and a nifty little middle seat that seats me comfortably, or folds down easily to make a handy console, or is entirely removable like the Sienna console. Perfect! I can even nurse Ada while sitting in between the two car seats. While parked, of course!

Also, the sales guy at Toyota was phoning it in, while I liked the sales guy at Honda a lot. And he looked like Taye Diggs.

8 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

Congrats on the new car purchase! I've always not-so-secretly wanted an Odyssey. Anny has always not-so-secretly dreaded the minivan purchase that she expects in the future.

I like the red choice. Good call, Ellie!

Unknown said...

I think a salesman who looked like Taye Diggs could sell me on just about anything. "Oh yes, Mr. Diggs-look-alike, I will buy that bridge..."

-Karaoke Diva
http://karaokediva.blogdns.com

ccw said...

Ah, the beloved 3.9% rate. That was what sold us on our almost new big ass SUV.

I'm sure your Honda will last forever. When we replace the nearly 200,000 miles Nissan we are buying a Honda.

deb said...

Congrats on the Odyssey. The only reason why we got the Caravan instead of the Odyssey four years ago was because, at that time and in our area, it was special order only. Our old car literally up and died and we needed something NOW and not in two weeks.

We have rued the decision ever since.

The next van will definately be an Odyssey, how lame am I, I covet your minivan. :)

Nice color, too, I might add.

Sarahlynn said...

Rob, well, I was with Anny. I still am, a little bit. But I'm also really excited by the new vehicle and its cool features!

Karaoke Diva, yes indeed!

CCW, that 3.9% is dangerous! I hope the Honda does last forever, increasing its resale value. But my parents drove old clunkers into the ground for so long, I'm a little afraid of keeping a car forever. I don't ever want to be quite as close to my mechanic as my parents are to theirs.

SK, we went to Huey's and were very very happy with everything. Good luck!

Deb, I understand the NOW! factor. I spent part of today on the phone with the bank, explaining that they could NOT put a standard 7 day hold on the check from our insurance company, because we needed the money for a new car immediately, no waiting for a week to clear a check, which should be an automated and practically instanteous process!

Jessica said...

Nice car!

Taye Diggs, huh? Maybe I need a minivan.

Sarahlynn said...

I have 5 copies of his business card, complete with color photo, so I'm happy to share!

the squeaky mouse gets the cheese said...

grats on the new wheels! We love the odyssey too and if we went new that woulda been our choice...we got a great deal on our caravan because it was 1 year old and had 13k miles on it for half the price of new...couldn't say no. Honda quality and reliability and resale are all just great though. Congrats! Don't worry about growing up... all the haters can squeeze into their little cars for trips and you can travel in comfort. DVD player in the car is rediculously cool...how did we all grow up without them? I know people say kids watch too much TV, but c'mon, look at what we watched we were little. There's a lot of good programming out there to entertain the kids...I say use it.