Friday, March 02, 2007

I Love Ellie

I've been writing a lot about Adelaide, but there's so much to say about Eleanor too.

Ellie's hair is interesting. It's a dark blond. As I look at individual strands, I can't name their color. Not yellow, gold, or brown. But along the hairline, Ellie's hair is white blond. When she'll let me, I love to brush the hair gently back off of her forehead, temples, the nape of her neck and look at that soft, surprisingly bright hair.

Her skin is perfection. It's usually chapped and not nearly as soft as it was when she was a newborn, but Ellie's complexion is indescribably gorgeous. Her skin is perfectly fair, white without a hint of yellow. (I could be charitably called an autumn. Or just yellow.) Her cheeks are always rosy. I've never seen skin coloring as perfect as Ellie's.

And her eyes! Ellie's eyes are her most amazing feature. I could stare into them all day, if she'd stand still for it (which she wouldn't). So bright! So clear! Such an amazing blue! Ellie's eyes are not as piercing as, but even more compelling than Peter O'Toole's as Lawrence of Arabia.

I love Ellie's wide-legged walk, and her developing run. I love her sturdy little body, even though her round belly and tiny bottom mean that she can't keep her pants up (I recently bought her suspenders).

Ellie is three years old, 36 inches tall, and 33 pounds. She loves to weigh herself on the bathroom scale, and I don't know where she gets that. (Daddy, you're so busted.)

I love the way Ellie's been fighting sleep much less for the past couple of weeks. I love the way she's been stringing words together more, and her language is becoming easier to understand.

I love the way her mind works, and I love watching her figure things out. I love the way she's starting being specific when she tells me what she wants. Not a drink, but milk or water. Not a snack, but pretzels or cookies. Not "Mama! Mama!" but requests to go to her room to "Play dishes," or blocks or tea party.

I love the way she wants to drag her "I tall" stool into the kitchen to help with whatever I'm doing there. I love her passion for books.

I love the way she cares for her younger sister. I love the way she tells me especially who she wants to pray for at night. I love that she still loves music so much, the way she did long before she was even born.

I love the baby she was, and the little girl she's becoming.

I love Ellie.

From 2007-01

From 2007-02

7 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

Me Too!

Psycho Kitty said...

Oh, she is such a gorgeous girl.
Hey, I'm emailing you about the B and C.

Krupskaya said...

Her smile reminds me of Maia -- that almost full-body grin that just beams out at you.

And all dressed up in that fancy coat! And party shoes!

She is beautiful.

ccw said...

Beautiful!

She is so big!

Sarahlynn said...

Rob, I didn't used to understand how exciting it really is to have a niece. Now I know, and I can't wait to meet my new Hay niece and my new soon-to-be-born Monroe niece!

Thanks, SK. : )

Thanks, PK. And thank you for the email too!

Krupskaya, "full-body grin," Perfect! (Those are her church coat and shoes. Because Ellie is her own unique person, church is more exciting than parties. She just loves that place.)

CCW, I know! She's growing up! And she's only 2 months older than NSBH! I can't believe how fast it's going.

Beachcomber said...

Such a beautiful girl! I'm amazed by how fast she's growing up.

yazzy said...

Your daughter is beautiful.