Monday, March 19, 2007

It is begun

My confidence in my wonder parenting skills took a major hit last week, when I couldn't convince the girls to nap at the same time all week long. In fact, I couldn't convince Adelaide, usually such a great sleeper, to sleep at all. Oh, she'd take little cat naps, but only in my arms, and only when I'd hold her just so, and only for short periods of time.

But Friday, glorious Friday, brought both girls a nap at the same time. Alas, I was unable to take advantage of the opportunity to sleep myself, but I did have some things I needed to take care of.

On Friday, rather than putting Ada to sleep in her crib, or the beside co-sleeper, or her swing, or the vibrating seat, or in my arms, I laid her down on one of my t-shirts spread over Paul's pillow and pulled the sheet and comforter up to her shoulders. Yes, I know, she shall surely die. But she does love it so. And I do so love for her to be happy and healthy and occasionally sleeping.

As usual, I went in to check on the baby periodically. And on one such check, she wasn't where I'd left her. In fact, I couldn't see her at all. I walked a little closer to the bed, and found her. She'd wiggled her way down off the pillow and was lying sideways on the bed. I readjusted and recovered her, acknowledging the bittersweet realization that I won't be able to leave her unattended in an unrailinged bed for long. Already, she's beginning to try to move!

Tonight, she had her first bottle and she absolutely loved it. Then she had her first cocktail, when I got home from a one martini dinner out with a friend. Now she's sleeping.

Tomorrow she'll be 8 weeks old. Wahoo!

As a celebration, I'm urging my body to finally quit the lochia.

2 comments:

the squeaky mouse gets the cheese said...

The two kids that both don't want to sleep on the same night..when one or both of you have to work the next day...is pure hell. I think it's inevitable at some ponit with most kids and when the two of them collaborate... ouch. Then you're a zombie the next day. Lather, rinse repeat, but luckily those really bad nights are rare. I'm naturally sleep-intolerant so when I'm up 3-4 times and sleep about 2 hours total and then have to go to work, luckily I can actually manage that. It pains you however when stuff like that happens to your spouse (who may be more of a morning owl than a night one).
On the positive, as long as everyone's feeling alright, normal non-sleeping isn't so bad. Sick kids = way worse than poor sleep habits kids.

Hopefully you get lucky with Ada and she's one of those kids that just passes out. Patch is a better sleeper than Cam was at that age, but I think every kid goes through cycles until they're about 3. Keeping em out of your bed when the Ferber method fails you and you're dead tired is rough.

Hope to see all 4 of you guys sometime soon!

Sarahlynn said...

SK, so far so good with the lochia! Your chant must be working.

Squeaky Mouse, You are so so right that nighttime sleeplessness is worse than naptime sleeplessness! I am a night owl and don't mind all nighters . . . as long as I know that I can catch up on sleep the next day! With kids there's never that guarantee.