Monday, February 13, 2006

The Last Name Thing - Part II

What a wonderful discussion below about The Last Name Thing! Thank you to everyone who's been chiming in. I have a couple more things I want to add:

In some ways, The Last Name Thing is more controversial than abortion. In part, this is because most of the people having the discussion are progressives, and most progressives already support a woman's right to choose abortion but are divided on the Last Name issue. Many people who are otherwise quite liberal are OK with women not taking their husbands' names, but only if it doesn't affect their own families.

Certainly, most people don't want to legislate against women keeping their own names. But neither do they want to talk about it.

"It's my choice," is where the discussion often begins and ends.

And that's true. It is our choice as adults to decide what we want to be called.

It is also my choice if I want to wear a cute little pink t-shirt that says, "Math is hard." It's my choice if I want to be an at-home mom.

My point is not that choosing to take your husband's name is equivalent to walking around with "Juicy" on your butt - I don't believe that it is! - but rather that our choices are not made in a vacuum. There's significant social pressure on us to choose what we choose, and our choices effect others.

So while I support my friends who've changed their names, and will vigorously defend them against anyone who's judgmental about their choices, I also think it's important to talk about why it's so often the husband's name that's so freely "chosen" for the family name.

I want it to be more of a real choice for my daughters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

before i go to sleep.. i didn't read the comments from your first post.. and i'm not married -- i'm terminally single -- but i do remember when my mother got married for the 3rd time.. with her 2nd marriage she kept my father's last name, but with the 3rd, when she changed her name to his, i had feelings about it..

i mean, here was this woman who raised me to be strong and independent, a feminist in all aspects besides identity, and here she was taking his name. i mean, it was cool that she kept my fathers last name as her middle name because of my brother and i.. but, i dunno, i had feelings of 'why take his last name, why not go back to your maiden name?' but in the end, it was her choice.

will i keep my last name if i suddenly find that i'm not terminally single? i dunno, i can't predict how i'll feel in the moment, but i am fond of my own last name. more importantly though, i'm all about breaking down the patriarchy, and taking his last name because it is the thing to do is bunk. a hyphenated last name (although with my last name, goddess that would be LONG!), or he and i finding a new last name for the both of us.. that feels better to me for a potential future decision to make. and if his parents were to have feelings about it? i'd honour them, and ask them to honour my feelings about it as well.

good topic. (that said even with my bitterness at being terminally single :) ) thanks.

ccw said...

I understand your wishes for Ellie. Not changing your name after marriage is still viewed by many, liberal or not, as "abnormal". Society still does not view this option as a choice between the two; the push is for change.

I honestly have not ever considered my daughters' names. Change it or leave it, they'll still be my daughters, so I (at least at this point) don't really care.

Gannet Girl said...

LOL P. Polarbear just let me know you'd been writing about this, after she read what I wrote. I had no idea it was still an issue!