Monday, February 27, 2006

The Mondays

Happy Monday, everyone!

It has been an incredibly busy weekend. On Friday afternoon, Paul, who is a very young elder at our church, left for a weekend session retreat. I finally got Ellie to bed around 10:30, after which I had a little snack while watching some Olympics - I'm now three days behind coming out of this weekend - and cleaned the house. I tried to read a little of my book club's February selection before passing out.

On Saturday morning, Lizzi decided that even though Ellie and I wanted to sleep in until 7:00, we should all get up around 6:00 like normal. Then some friends came over to play, which made things better. They left, and Ellie napped.

Ellie has had a rough week. I wonder if she's still getting her 2-year molars, because it took over 3 hours to get her to sleep most nights last week, and her only naps involved being in bed with me while I sang to her or rubbed her back whenever she woke up enough to realize that I'd stopped. I hope that this week is better; she had a long nap today and we got her to sleep in about an hour tonight. That's still too long, but it's better.

After Ellie woke up on Saturday afternoon, we met some other friends at the park for a windy playdate, then they came home with us for an evening of fun. Paul met us after his retreat, and we all went out to dinner. Then we played with the kids until bedtime. For a wonder, both toddlers were asleep by 8:30, leaving the grownups to play games four hours. After our friends left, Paul and I passed out again without accomplishing anything on our weekend To Do list.

Sunday morning came too early, as always. We went to church, after which we had a reception for our beloved youth minister, whose reserve unit is shipping out to Iraq. His wife - also a friend - is stationed here and will not be going with him to Iraq or to the base where he'll be stationed for 2 years after returning from his year-long tour in Iraq. Man. Wow oh wow. I really admire and respect what he's doing: the soldiers over there must really need good Chaplains and he's great, but this will be incredibly hard on him and on his family. This could easily become a whole post on its own, so I'll leave it there for the moment.

After naps, we met up with still other friends and their toddler for dinner then rejoined back here for sugar free desserts and toothless coffee drinks.

I finally watched the women's figure skating final, then hopped onto the computer to do this before bed.

***

In closing, I've had to restrict Anonymous comments again, since unfortunately this blog has gotten some trolls who feel most comfortable spewing hate anonymously. I apologize to all of the non-trolls who don't have Blogger accounts and are inconvenienced by this. An explanation is over in the Passionate Posts section of the sidebar, if anyone really wants to search it out. I don't intend that post to be something for most of you to read, but it's a good place to point the trolls who come here just to tell me how wrong I am.

7 comments:

ccw said...

Sounds like a busy, but enjoyable weekend.

I spent mine tearing down the ceiling for our remodel. Of course I forgot that I was very pregnant, worked too hard, and killed my back. On the upside the celing is down and has been hauled off to the dump.

Jessica said...

Sounds like a busy weekend, Sarahlynn. By the way, if you haven't had a chance to vote for my art since the contest had to be repeated due to a voting fraud (on the mask), please do so - I'm tying it into donations for Annika.

Sarahlynn said...

CCW, that was very ambitious. I can't believe you did that and am duly impressed! I also can't believe you're launching into a remodel right before the baby comes!

Jessica, I've voted. How will that tie into donations for Annika?

Trisha, next time, I might use that suggestion. I'll even tell myself that it's for her chronic congestion.

Jessica said...

Sarahlynn,

They had to re-do the contest due to a voting fraud and I made the decision that I will donate $1 for every vote I get toward Annika's insurance policy - also, because some crazy people actually like the piece, if it wins, I'm going to auction it off and donate that money as well. Reference my latest post for details and links.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I too have had to deal with hateful blog trolls, always amazing that such people have nothing better to do than attempt to draw attention to their selves. You can set your comments to moderate if you want to screen them before actually posting to your blog. They then come into your email box with the options "publish,reject, and moderate" so that you have ultimate control over those nasty trolls. In this case you could still allow anonymous if you like.

Wow, your weekend sounded so busy. Too bad our housework doesn't manage to get done without us. Hey maybe there is a housework fairy we don't know about yet :)

Sarahlynn said...

RNP, I'm hoping to avoid the headache of having to approve each comment. Hopefully this will be a short-lived flare up. But thanks for the tip!

PPB, yes, trolls are very annoying. And one of mine has followed my rings and blogroll elsewhere, so I extend my sincere apologies to those affected.

This new one is pretty simple, though. He trots out erroneous information and pat responses, resulting often to challenging people to answer the same tired old questions over and over, then claiming "censorship" on people's personal blogs when his targets don't choose to engage him each time. Presumably, he'll find a new hobby eventually. Thanks for the sympathy.