Friday, August 25, 2006

Techno Wiz

I spent much of Tuesday unable to use my computer because 2-1/2 year old Ellie changed the administrator password and locked me out.

"That's impossible," Paul said when I called him, "You have to type the new password twice."

And that did turn out to be the key. I knew that the password wasn't the same as it had been, so she must have changed it. Ellie had cleared the field, using the touchpad that I struggle with and she seems completely comfortable with. And then she hit enter twice. So she cleared the password and changed it to nothing. Awesome!

Yesterday morning she did something to the TiVo. She didn't activate the KidZone controls, but she did use the remote control to lock it up somehow so that we couldn't pause the live TV. Or change the channel. Or view the TV Guide. Or access the TiVo menus, including "Now Playing." So, basically, until Paul came back from Orlando, our choices were no TV or all Nickelodeon, all the time. Wahoo!

I built my own PC in college, going to a computer show to buy each component cheaply from various booths. Unlike most of the people I work with, I'm completely comfortable with Internet bulletin boards, and I totally know what a blog is. I never thought I'd turn into a tech dinosaur so soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am impressed with Ellie...sounds like she and Miss E could be best friends. She loves anything electronic with controls. Great fun for us right?

Unknown said...

Smart little girlie! Kiernen is just one and itches to get to my computer...I could totally see something like that happening.

Jessica said...

Scott will weep with pride when I tell him this....

Sarahlynn said...

PPB, I like that explanation! Can you imagine calling The Geek Squad one day and having toddler Ellie show up?

RNP, I know they would get along!

Kim, no joke!

Chasmyn, a year?! Already?!!

Jessica, she'll be his new consultant any day now! Just put her on the payroll. (On a related note, she could be great for drumming up business. Just set her loose in a potential client's house for about 5 minutes.)