Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Evaluate This

I'm not going to mince words. Today sucked ass.

Fortunately, I've moved beyond tears into anger, which is a far superior place to be.

Yesterday was Ellie's Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) 6-month review. Twice a year, the program director at Ellie's school, each of Ellie's therapists, her state early intervention service coordinator, Paul, and I all get together. We go over Ellie's progress over the past 6 months toward achieving the goals we set last time, then we set new goals for the next 6 months.

Yesterday's meeting was our last IFSP, because Ellie is in the process of transferring out of the early childhood program and into the school district. From her third birthday on, Ellie will receive preschool and therapy services through her school district rather than through the First Steps program. This transition involves a lot of meetings, a lot of paperwork, and a LOT of evaluations.

I expected it to be painful.

I didn't expect it to be this bad.

Yesterday's meeting went very well. Ellie has made incredible progress in all areas (speech and language, gross and fine motor, adaptive/self-help skills, and cognition) recently, and it was, frankly, fun going over her progress with her team. We have a good team. Things are going well. Time to upset the apple cart.

We were at the Special School District preschool evaluations office for 4 hours today, and Ellie did fantastic. She was in a good mood and she was compliant, but she also showed all sides of her typical personality so that the evaluators could see this is what she's like when she's frustrated, etc. She was amazing and the evaluations process seemed to go very well, though Paul and I couldn't watch most of it. We were in the room next door being interviewed, one at a time, by each of the 5 members of the evaluation team. That wasn't totally fun.

The team went aside to talk for a bit, then came in to go over their report with us. (We'll be receiving a copy in the mail in a couple of weeks). In reverse order, we heard from the speech pathologist, the PT, the OT, and the school psychologist. The evaluations of Ellie's speech/language and motor skills were perfectly aligned with what we're seeing at home and what Ellie's current therapists are seeing. The delays found were unsurprising, and we were pleased that she qualifies for speech, OT, and PT through the school district. We were also pleased with how positive the evaluators were about how Ellie's doing, how far she's come recently, and how she's likely to progress in the months to come.

But first we heard from the school psych about Ellie's social, behavioral, adaptive, and cognition scores.

It's worth noting, at this point, that Ellie's current preschool teachers tell us how well she keeps up in the classroom, mostly full of typical kids (there's one other little girl with Down syndrome). Her Developmental Therapist, who sees Ellie at home and at school and is a former special ed teacher and school diagnostician, tells us that the only thing that keeps Ellie from participating fully in class is her occasional stubborn/defiant behavior. We haven't had any real "cognitive" goals recently because she met the big one: plays appropriately for her age and with other children in the classroom.

So this school psych evaluator woman tells us that Ellie has moderate delays in adaptive behaviors/motor. Yeah, we know that she's nearly 3 and isn't fully potty trained yet; can't dress herself, and still sticks out her tongue when she drinks from a straw, etc. No surprise.

Social Interaction and Communication: high score.

No behavioral delay.

As far as cognition, here's what she can do (all according to the school psych):
  • match colors
  • label pictures
  • age-appropriate puzzles - though a little slow
  • put pegs into a pegboard
  • understands pronouns
  • discriminating between objects
  • interest in listening to a story, pointing out pictures that go with the text, making animal sounds, etc.
Now for the verdict. Ready?

Severe Delay in Cognition.

WHAT THE FUCK?

I'm a bit flummoxed, of course, so I incoherently press for more details. Well, she can stack 5 tiny blocks. She should be able to stack 6-8 of them.

Um, OK. That's more fine motor than anything else. And a one block deficit is so totally not SEVERE. WTF?!!!

She gave Ellie a developmental age of 21 months, which is also totally hogwash. I know 21 month olds. I see how they play. They are more into pushing a car and throwing a ball then they're into ordering, phase 2 in imaginative play. For example, Ellie loves to give her doll something to drink, then undress her and put her on the potty, clap for her, wipe her, then put on a diaper. This, for the curious, is very age-appropriate play for a 34 month old.

I know there are delays. I am not hiding my head in the sand here.

Still. I also know that there are lots and lots and lots of kids who are much much worse off than Ellie. And I know that "severe" doesn't come close to describing this kid who can play Hi Ho! Cherry-O and talk to the baby she can't see but knows is growing in mommy's tummy.

So. I don't note a severe delay in Ellie's cognition. Ellie's current developmental therapist doesn't note such a delay, nor do her classroom teachers, nor her grandmother, who's also an elementary school psychologist who does this evaluation stuff for a living. Ellie's pediatrician, who specializes in kids with Down syndrome and has one of her own, is convinced that Ellie does not have severe (or even moderate) cognitive delays.

This is how I've moved from the tears to the anger. The eval was wrong. Flat wrong. Worse, the scale was off (Mom explained the scales to me, and I suspect this particular interpretation has a lot more to do with the Special School District drumming up business for itself by qualifying kids for more services). And the instrument was faulty.

My mom's school district only uses this particular test with kids who are totally non-verbal and there's no other way to test them. (Note: the ceiling on Ellie's single-word vocabulary was 3 years and 11 months; not quite "non-verbal" but rather a whole year older than she is.) My youngest sister was evaluated with this tool when she was 6 months old.

So I'm even working through my fury.

But I'm still a bit sad and mad and depressed that it looks like I'm going to go into Ellie's experience with the school district having to fight for my daughter, when I was hoping against hope that we could all just get along.

And at the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) meeting in a few weeks, if they come back with ugly words like "severe cognitive delay" and want a ridiculous amount of apart-from-typical-kids time for Ellie, I'll be ready to go to bat, threatening a lawyer and demanding that she have a new eval by a new evaluator, and refusing to sign the IEP until it accurately reflects the needs of the daughter I know and love so well.

11 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow. My first thought, upon reading the block difference, was "THAT'S 'severe'?!" Unbelievable.

If there is ever anything that Scott and I can do to support you, Paul and Ellie on this matter, please do not hesitate to let us know.

brooke said...

oh my. severe cognitive disorder? goodness.

i'm glad she's got you to go up to bat for her, i'm also glad you are turning your fury into action :)

ccw said...

Ellie is fortunate to have such a wonderful mother who is willing to fight to ensure that she receives the best education possible. I sincerely hope that you do not have to go through an ugly mess; you all deserve better.

How is one severe? Wouldn't that be more like borderline, we'll keep on an eye on it?

Sarahlynn said...

Thanks, Jessica. Just seeing how much you and Scott care for our Ellie, that helps overcome so much of this other ugliness.

Brooke, that's me! Action plan woman!

CCW, in my opinion, I think Ellie has mild delays in cognition. My mom, with her school psych hat on and taking everything into consideration (adding in the language delays) also says mild delay, with the high points up to the "normal" range and the low points down near the "borderline" range (between mild and moderate). But severe? No.

Rat bastards. (OK, so I'm still a little angry this morning.)

Camera Obscura said...

Golly, I don't know where to start.

First, let me say that transition evals and IEPs suck. They suck between preschool and elementary, between elementary and middle, and between middle and high schools. You're settled in with a team, and they know your kid well, and you know them well. Then you meet with a whole new team who just may possibly suspect that you and/or your kid will be a pain personality-wise and that your kid will require more services than they've been given budget for. And you may suspect that the new team will not care to get to know your kid, or want to deal with the services she needs, or cave into the regular school staff and stick her in with worse-functioning kids rather than try to integrate her to the max of her ability.

And you know what? IT NEVER HAPPENS (with a very few exceptions, and trust me those folks don't last long). SSD ground troops really, really want to be working with our kids, and really want to see them succeed and exceed what was expected of them. But the fear and the suckiness are always there. SSD administrative-types, OTOH, are bean counters. But usually the ground troops cajole, sneak, and bully their way into getting what's best for your kid.

The next few things I have to say will probably sound mean right now.

"Severe cognitive delay" is a label, nothing more. Just words. Somebody drew a slash through a number line, and said, "On this side of the slash is mild cognitive delay, on the other side is severe." And when this psychologist did the test, Ellie's score fell just on the "severe" side of the slash. Maybe Ellie was being uncooperative on a couple of the tests. Maybe the psychologist has been taught that all kids with Down's Syndrome automatically fall at least X points lower than their chronological age, and you start scoring from there.

But y'know what? It doesn't matter. For a couple of reasons: 1) You'll be there at the IEP, and you can work reasonably with Ellie's new set of teachers to set up how much therapy time, inclusive time, etc. she'll get in preschool. 2) Ellie's new teachers will be delighted and that much happier to work with her when it turns out she's not as "disabled" as the psychologist said. In fact, they probably already know this psychologist tests kids low. 3) It's just words on a piece of paper, one that will probably be stuck in a file once Ellie is preschool and not looked at again until this time next year, when it will go bye-bye in a big way because it will be you and Ellie's staff updating it, and not the moron psychologist. "Severe cognitive delay" is just words on this particular IEP, it is not something that will follow Ellie around through school. Honestly.

Please, please, please do not go into the IEP expecting an adversarial relationship. Keep an eye on the administrative types, but please remember that the teachers and therapists love these kids or they wouldn't be doing this job. If there must be a battle, make it you and them against the bean-counters, not you against SSD. But even this is only if necessary.

And please remember (this is the really mean part) -- any diagnosis given to Ellie is not a report card on how well you are taking care of her. My youngest is 12 and I still internalize my kids' report cards as reports on "how well is Camera teaching her kids to succeed in school." I'm even worse about parent-teacher conferences. So twice a year Hubby has to talk me down from my high anxiety.

I suspect this particular interpretation has a lot more to do with the Special School District drumming up business for itself by qualifying kids for more services

While I did not have to deal w/ SSD Early Childhood, I dealt with the same sort of folks in CA. And believe me, they are under pressure to not diagnose anything that, while it may be a service your child needs, does not interfere with the child's ability to get an "appropriate education". But your immediate teachers and therapists will usually agree with you that your kid needs something and try to find a way to word it so it applies to their education. And they will be quite happy to find that your kid does not need or has outgrown something and they can devote those resources elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Ok, please don't think I am crazy...but this is why I don't want to have Miss E tested at all. I don't care what a stranger she has never met assumes about her cognition.

I don't care where she falls in line with other children her age.

I still haven't decided if I am even going to use EI this year. Where we live she doesn't qualify for anything but a teacher two hours a week.

A developmental ped told me she absolutely needed PT, OT, and SP...even if she is doing well in most areas. The district won't budge.

I have made my children a promise that we will no longer live here next year this time as I don't like the local district at all. I don't have any of my children attending it.

I truly dislike those evaulations, as the margin for error or assumption is so skewed so many different variables. Time of day, amount of people in the room, strangers--no less don't provide for a very user friendly envirnoment for a three year old.

I would absolutely request they remove these scores and documents from her file and do the testing again...this time they could allow people who know her and care about her successes be involved.

As far as I see it that psych evaluator sounds like a real ASS, and since she was flat wrong I see every reason for you to buck what she has said.

She doesn't know Ellie like you do, or like those who have been around her on a regular basis do.

Shame on her for her quick judgments and inappropriate findings.

Hugs from our house to yours Sarahlynn.

Sarahlynn said...

Camera, it's an interesting situation here with our school district and SSD. Our school district bids out special education services to the Special School District. So SSD gets paid by the local school district for the kids they serve and the services they provide. What's so interesting, in this case, is that it's SSD (and not the local school district) who does the intake evaluations. I've never been in a district that works like this one. (Usually the evals are done by the district that's paying, in my experience.)

Thanks, SK. Best of all, being Mama Lion makes me feel powerful in a situation where I feel uncomfortably powerless.

PPB, that was perfect. Thank you!

RNP, I don't think you're crazy at all! I wouldn't have subjected all of us to the testing process if I didn't really really want the servies (and preschool) for Ellie. Not that the testing was traumatic for Ellie. She really enjoyed it and was keyed up for the rest of the day. But for me, it totally sucked.

And thank you, so much, for the hugs.

Psycho Kitty said...

Oh, man, under a totally different circumstance but I SO get this. This is why I just pulled the Boy out of therapy...not that I have my head in the sand but his doctor changed and I don't like her attitude. She comes at him as a problem, not as a solution. Oy. I wish I was there.

Sarahlynn said...

Me too!

the squeaky mouse gets the cheese said...

1. First off -- Mama Lion power. Get em.

2. Gotta agree with the slash and the label thing Camera said... going from 'mild' to 'severe' in our society is not a single measurement distance in most of our books, but apparently they have a very blunt tool for measuring. And my science degrees also think the measurers are never going to be completely objective on tests like this. Multiple opinions and consensus are going to be more accurate than one person's call, and that person as you said does have the SSD agenda to live with.

3. Hugs from me too. The eval process sounds like the suck, and I know none of us with kids are ever going to agree when someone else's evaluation of our kid. They just don't have all the data we do. So trust in your own assessment. Unfortunately you have to work with theirs, but you don't have to agree with it or let it be the only one involved.

jotcr2 said...

Pathetic. It is pathetic that she was off the mark to that extent. I find it horrible that our child's weaknesses are constantly being thown in our faces. What other parents are told that 5 blocks instead of 6-8 (or whatever) represents a delay. It would not register a second thought if any other kid didn't reach 6. You girl seems to be doing extreamely well. Try to remember the good things, because the bad comments are sometimes sink in deeper when they shouldn't.