Monday, August 07, 2006

Productive! And Not Just the Coughs.

I worked out tonight, and it felt good. Wahoo! It's been a long time, months perhaps, and I'm glad that I've gotten over the "first time back" barrier. Now hopefully I'll be able to resume a pattern of doing it regularly: I'm no longer nauseous and yet I'm not so ponderously large that it's difficult to move comfortably. This is a nice stage of pregnancy, and I appreciate that I've reached the looking-visibly-pregnant stage earlier this time. Last time at this point, it was still a toss-up whether I looked pregnant or . . . like I'd packed on (more than) a few pounds.

This afternoon, after nap and snack, Ellie and I played Hungry Hungry Hippos. I know, I know. Marbles and choking hazards. I know my kid and I was right there. Anyway, pressing the lever to move the hippo head is nice fine motor control, and practice using a simple tool, which just adds to the appeal of the game for me. After a while, Ellie got a little frustrated with the therapy part and decided to skip the middle man. She used her little fists to scoop up the marbles and dump them directly into her orange hippo's reservoir. Not a bad strategy! She actually won.

Then we played with her Dora Memory cards, but I alter that game a little and leave the cards face up, asking her to match "the same" out of maybe 3 pairs of cards. "Do you see 2 puppies? How about 2 Backpacks?"

When she tired of that, we moved on to The Shoe Game. I made a big pile of the shoes that were in the foyer and tried to convince her to match up pairs. She tired of this game quickly, and lurched off with my crocs over her Stride Rites and orthotics.

So I set up her keyboard and we played computer games for a few minutes until Daddy got home.

This is not at all what I'd planned to write about, but it was a lovely afternoon. This evening had some high points too. I'm almost done with the hardest parts of the anniversary gifts I'm making for our parents this month, and Paul put two solid coats of primer on the hall bath (alternately known as the guest bath, or Ellie's big girl bathroom) and on the wood-paneled wall in the family room. It's so bright and lovely in there right now! And the hideous blue and tan wallpaper and faux Matisses from the bathroom are gone gone gone!

I know that I am nesting. I am so very glad that Paul has decided to humor me. The new curtains and slip cover (for the front room and family room) arrived today. Thank heavens for credit.

Once "we've" finished painting the bathroom, family room and hallway, the next project will have to be Ellie's big girl room. She's started going to what's currently the guest room when I suggest that we adjourn to her room. She already knows that it's going to be her room soon, and I think she thinks she gets to keep the very tall queen bed that's currently in there. Maybe in a few years, sweetie. For now I think the floor space would be better spent in other ways. Like making room for you to Dance Dance Dance!

Finally, the Kirkwood water boil order has lifted. I suspect that this might be the source of my energy and good mood. But I am gulping down the delicious tap water and not looking this gift horse in the mouth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, such a post about everything...where to begin my comments?

First of all, it sounds like you and Ellie had a marvelous afternoon. I am so glad for both of you, we all need some mom and child bonding moments like this now and again.

Nesting, what great fun, I always loved the new found amount of energy that went along with rearranging and changing everything in prepartion for the baby.

No more boil order-woo hoo!!! I am sure this was absolutely thrilling for you, and of course helpful on your pocketbook when it comes to buying water.

Great photo too!

Sarahlynn said...

SeasonalKat, we almost never water our lawn, but Paul was already out there watering on Sunday. I think he figured that he could single-handedly help flush out the pipes.

RNP, I have no idea when Paul took that picture, but I think it's cute. We look like we're sleeping in very similar poses, but it's funny because neither of us usually sleeps with one arm thrown out like that.