Thursday, August 03, 2006

Fun and Games

Well, no luck with the earrings so far.

This morning, Ellie and I went on a playdate and had a good time. All the other mothers were jealous of me, because my child played quietly in one of the host children's bedrooms the whole time, demanding very little. I assured them that it was because of the exciting toys in there (doll stroller, shopping cart, car seat, and playpen) and that behavior is not duplicated for such long stretches of time at home.

After nap, we played quietly around the house because I was still tired. We snuggled up on the couch and I told Ellie a short story about fairy princess Eleanor, preparing her for her role as "flower girl" in Aunt Grace's wedding next month. (She doesn't really have any duties as flower girl, but she will be dressed as an adorable fairy.)

Ellie buried her head in the corner of the couch, then stood up and held up her index finger at me. "Back!" she said, and headed for her room. She returned moments later with some actual books for me to read to her. "Book!" There's one vote against my storytelling prowess!

Later, she found an unopened 9-pack of big girl underpants in her top dresser drawer, which she brought to me for assistance. We were back in pull-ups after an unsuccessful run with big girl underpants earlier in the afternoon. She insisted that I help her pull on a pair of underpants over her pull-ups. Then another pair. And another. We ended up with 4 pairs of underpants over the pull-ups, and she was content. She was even willing to try sitting on the toilet again. (But she still peed in the pull-ups.)

Today was fun and relaxing, but a little sad, too. My Ellie is so beautiful and so smart and so fun and so funny. But watching her in the company of her peers - kids we took Gymboree classes with when they were all infants - was eye-opening too. I used to notice gross and fine motor differences. Some of those are still there, of course, though that gap has narrowed considerable.

But today the language differences were really noticeable. I know how amazingly lucky we are that Ellie seems to have no hearing problems, and that she talks at all. She does talk. She has a very functional vocabulary and every day I am grateful for that and for how much she's learning. But she's just not expressing the complex thoughts, or speaking in sentences the way her same-age playmates are.

I love my little girl as she is. I want her to achieve as much as she can, and I want her to be able to do that in an environment that is fun and supportive, not judgmental and high-pressure. But that doesn't mean I'm not a little sad still when I notice differences like this.

Anyway, today ended with a humbling bang. We were at The Pasta House Company, and Ellie's milk ended up on the floor ("uh oh!" my left foot). I was reaching for it when - Slip! Boom.

Not only did I end up on my bottom on the ground, but then the wooden chair toppled oh-so-slowly, clattering onto the extremely well-waxed floor. It took long enough to draw the attention of many of the patrons and staff at the restaurant, most of whom rushed over to check on me. How embarrassing. I laughed it off; since I didn't fall far, I don't think I'm hurt.

As is the way of these things, I noticed later that my tailbone hurts a little. And my back cracks whenever I square my shoulders. And did I actually hit my elbow? But it's reassuring to sit on the couch and feel New Baby moving around, so I think I'll sign off and just do that for a bit.

10 comments:

Redhead Editor said...

And as long as you didn't pee your pants, then the day was a success.

Love the fairy dress. Wish they came in "big girl" sizes.

Anonymous said...

I second the request for photos in the fairy dress.

Also, I completely understand the concern about complex thoughts and sentences. Miss E is younger than Ellie, we too are fortunate to not have hearing loss, but I do sometimes consider exactly what you are writing about.

Right now we are working on trying to get her to refrain from screaming as a method of drawing attention and getting her way. She seems to find this the most effective way to communicate.

I guess that is because she is still unable to find the words to express how she is truly feeling. She too has some words, and some sounds that we know have word meanings, but the language issues are by far the most difficult thing for me with Miss E.

Glad to hear you were not injured in the fall, and that the newest little one is reminding you of his or her presence.

Have a fabulous Friday.

themikestand said...

Yes. Photos! Photos!

Sounds like progress with the pullups... we're not quite there yet with our little guy (he does excuse himself to "go", so I guess that's some sort of progress) -- maybe I should introduce him to big girl underpants? Hmm, perhaps a little early to be blending genders.

Hope your tailbone feels better.

Jessica said...

Sarahlynn,

Scott and I are intimately familiar with how loved and supported Ellie is; we love her, too.

I was reading the part about you falling down and completely forgot that you are pregnant! I was thinking about how, when people fall (strangers or friends), I am inclined to laugh first and then see if they are okay. I was thinking this until I got to the part about the BABY IN YOUR BELLY and then, well, then I wanted to throw myself out of my office window.

So glad that you (and baby) are okay!

kairos said...

Cool comments, and glad everyone is ok...

BTW: my first job was at the Pasta House, the one on Delmar. Lots of spilled milk there...

Camera Obscura said...

Ah, it hurts to compare. But she will come along. Is she getting speech therapy? SSD will pick it up when she's three, but I think you have to deal with the state (DO NOT get me started about the Baby Gov.) before that age. Hokay, here's what I thought about the First Steps debacle.

I really must hook you up with the Heinekes. Lauren is going into 7th grade now; she plays hockey and is an exercise fiend -- she's the only rail-thin person w/ Down's Syndrome I have ever met. Of course she's had to be a fiend about exercise. She broke her neck in third grade and spent a year w/ framework bolted into her head, and then she had knee surgery between 5th and 6th grades and had to recover from that too. She was in the newspaper a while back as the best example of the JCC's exercise / therapy work with special needs under-13s.

Oh, Hub's first job was at Pasta House. He went in to apply; they hired him as soon as he filled out an application and put him to work slicing mushrooms. He told them he was having his wisdom teeth removed the next day and really hadn't been expecting to be hired until after he recovered. They called him the next day anyway to come in and work and when he said no, they fired him. Some manager had instant gratification problems, I guess.

CJ said...

I CANNOT wait to see her dressed as a fairy!! How adorable is that??uk

Sarahlynn said...

I will post *lots* of fairy princess photos! As long as she's willing to be a princess, of course. By next month, she might be a scary dinosaur. Who knows?!

RhE, that's the truth. Fortunately, I haven't yet started peeing my pants this time 'round. Though that does remind me to do my kegels . . .

RNP, the screaming is so hard to ignore, isn't it? We are working very hard on letting Ellie know that it doesn't work, which means not responding, when every fiber of my being urges me to do whatever it takes to Make That Noise Stop Immediately.

The Mikestand - HAH!

Jessica, that was my reaction too. At first, for about 3 seconds, I was just embarassed, and thinking, "what's the big deal? Of course I'm OK." Then I realized . . . "Oh. It's more than just me that might have been injured here. Gulp."

Kairos, I've eaten at that one! Fortunately, we had a lidded cup so the mess was minimal. Except for me, of course. Wooden chair, wooden floor, lots of wax, me already a little off-balance . . .

Camera, oh yes, she gets weekly visits from a speech therapist, and should start up with the school district in October. I too have written here about the whole First Steps debacle. Ironically, Ellie's first speech therapist was Baby Governor's first cousin! Conservative Catholic Republican though she might be, she was pissed at him about the whole First Steps thing.

ccw said...

So glad you are ok.

I am impressed with Ellie's potty abilities. We have not even made it to Pull-Ups yet. Not-So-Baby H acts like she is on fire if she gets near a toilet. She wants (and says) to lie on the bed next to the baby and have her diaper changed at the same time.

As for comparing, we all do that. It's human nature.

Unknown said...

You have a great blog here! Do you know if there are any benefits to teaching sign language to children or babies with downs syndrome? Please leave a message at my contact form if so, as I would LOVE to hear from you! Thank you!

http://www.babies-and-sign-language.com/contact-us.html