Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Nap Dreaming

Thank goodness Gilmore Girls is back tonight. It's clear that I've been watching too much of the wrong sort of television. I fell asleep briefly this afternoon, and had a vivid and disturbing dream.

My dad and I were at the forensic lab, picking up evidence, when suddenly he pressed a hand against his chest.

"I need to lie down flat on my back. I have an aneurysm. If I let up this pressure on it, I'm dead in minutes."

I grabbed a gurney and helped him onto it. Fortunately, the forensic lab was right next door to the hospital. I wheeled him across the parking lot to the big, red emergency entrance.

Inside the hospital, I realized that we weren't in the emergency department. In fact, I couldn't find the emergency department. We were all over the hospital, up and down in elevators, by the helipad on the roof, everywhere. Sometimes my mom and youngest sister were with us, sometimes not. But I couldn't find the ER anywhere, and I couldn't leave my dad to run around and look on my own.

At one point, I was sure that I'd found it, but it turned out the be the cafeteria, which was deserted except for the employees. They were cleaning amongst the tables and chairs. The first woman I saw didn't look very friendly.

"Excuse me, could you please direct me to the Emergency Department?"

She gave a hard look and I realized that her eyes were solid black, like The Source's. I turned to the next woman, who looked much more friendly.

"Sugar, what can I get for you?"

"Could you please tell me where I could find the ER?"

Her expression was suddenly quite hard, and her eyes bled black. In fact, as I looked around, all the cleaners' eyes were shiny, solid black.

I pushed dad back out into the well-lit hospital corridors, but had no luck soliciting help or directions. It seemed that I couldn't really communicate with anyone effectively. Perhaps I was speaking gibberish.

All in all, not a restful nap. But at least I finished Son of a Witch.

3 comments:

ccw said...

Maybe you should switch to friendlier TV.

That is a disturbing dream. So sorry, I hate dreams like this.

Sarahlynn said...

Well, I do watch a lot of Dora the Explorer! But somehow I never dream in that style.

Who do we ask when we don't know which way to go?

Google Maps!

Right! Say Google Maps! Say Google Maps!

Sarahlynn said...

Shudder. I have those thoughts when I'm outside with the dog late at night in my incredibly quiet and safe neighborhood. I feel ridiculous, yet still completely certain that something is about to go terribly awry.