Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Christmas in the John

I have two rants in the queue, but I won't let myself post them until I've posted about our holiday travels, so I'd better get busy!

Friday, December 23rd. Paul and I have each gotten a total of about one night's sleep all week long. We're so exhausted. I pick-up Ellie from school after lunch, take her home, and put her to bed for her afternoon nap, then start packing. It's slow going and I look forward to Paul coming home for motivation, inspiration, and help.

Paul comes home and he's no help. He claims that he feels "sick" and goes to lie down for a while. I am unsympathetic. Eventually he goes downstairs to get the suitcases. He's down there for a long time, and I call down after him, not patiently. He has been purging. From both ends.

I no longer think he's being a lazy jerk, but I am frustrated that he's been so inconsiderate with the timing of his illness. Eventually, much later than planned, we hit the road. I am exhausted but have to drive all the way to my parents' house. During the 6 hour drive, we stopped once so that Paul could lean out the door and dry heave on the side of the interstate, once for gas, and several times for coffee and bathroom breaks for me.

Saturday, December 24th. We got to my folks' in time to sleep for 2-1/2 hours. We got up before 3:00 am to head into the city for our flight to Wyoming. It was imperative to drive 6 hours in order to fly several more so that we could leave piles of presents and other junk at my parents house. And Lizzi. Lizzi stayed with my parents. Also, the flight was a bit cheaper from Chicago. Since we buy 3 tickets now, that really mattered.

My dad drove us to the airport while my mom wiped down everything we might have touched in her house with Lysol wipes. We arrived in Wyoming mid-morning, and greeted Paul's parents, sister, and brother-in-law with hugs.

Visiting, dinner, church, and present-opening ensued. Paul was feeling much better.

Sunday, December 25th. More present-opening, followed by Christmas dinner. Immediately after eating, I succumb to the god-awful purging flu. I call my parents. My father feels near to death, but blames it on some "bad" seafood. I am skeptical.

Monday, December 26th. In the middle of the night, Paul's sister is stuck down violently. On Monday night, her husband (who is only 27 but has kidney disease thanks to a nasty bout of strep a few years ago) is hospitalized for rehydration. Paul's mom comes home from the hospital and goes to bed; she's got it too.

Tuesday, December 27th. Paul's dad finally succumbs, after trying to pretend that he's just had "indigestion." Paul and I, feeling much better, take his sister and brother-in-law to the airport since both parents are sick. Poor brother-in-law (Hi!) runs to the bathroom twice while we wait for security. Later, I relapse briefly.

Wednesday, December 28th. Paul, Ellie, and I trek back through 3 airports to my dad's waiting car, and home to my parents' house. Ellie and my mom felt a bit "off" for a couple of days, but were spared the worst of the purging. We greet my youngest sister and her fiance with hugs.

Thursday, December 29th. My other sister and her husband arrive; we greet them with more hugs.

Friday, December 30th. More present opening! My youngest sister is struck down overnight.

Saturday, December 31st. PARTY! We stay up late doing Sudoku and playing board games. No one calls the police on us.

Sunday, January 1st. Paul and I embark on one of the best 36 hour periods of our lives (next post!) while my other sister becomes violently ill and thinks she might die. She doesn't. My 97-1/2 year-old grandfather begins to complain of stomach cramps.

Here's what we know about this flu:
- it lasts about 24 painful hours
- it's incredibly contagious
- you might have vomiting, and/or diarrhea, and/or painful cramps. Just as you're feeling better, you'll have a low-grade fever. And we've powerfully taken it from Missouri to Indiana, Illinois, Colorado, Wyoming, Kentucky, and Michigan, along with anywhere else people on our planes might have been going.

Please let me know if I should be bringing you chicken noodle soup!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Funny post, Sarahlynn - and I feel terribly for all of you!

I had a sickness like that once YEARS ago and I do not care to repeat it.

ccw said...

My face was frozen in an "eewww" look throughout this post. You.poor.people, that is simply an awful way to spend any day, let alone the holidays.

I hope everyone is better.

Sarahlynn said...

We are all much better now, and it's amazing how quickly the memory of the discomfort has faded! I think it was better for me because I was able to relax completely. My mother-in-law took good care of me, and there were plenty of people around to look after Ellie. It was almost like being a sick kid again.

brooke said...

oh my! thank goddess you didn't come to oregon, hahahahahahaha. seriously though, i'm glad y'all are all feeling better, and that it only lasts 24 hours :)

Redhead Editor said...

I'm with ccw on this. EEeeewww! And the thought of driving and flying while the efluvia was doing likewise is enough to elicit another Eeeeewww! Glad you had a great New Year's, Typhoid SarahLynn.