Friday, January 20, 2006

Home on the Dirt Pile

I don't want to say that I was anxious about my business trip this week, but when Paul and Ellie got home from work and school on Wednesday evening, they found the front door to the house standing wide open. Oh, the glass door was closed. But the wood door was open. It seems that I rolled my suitcase out the front door, put it into the car, and just left.

In my defense, we've had a landscaping crew out here all week and so there's plenty to distract the eye from teensy weensy little household details like an open door.

It's going to look so cool when it's done. The next outdoor projects are to build Ellie's swing set/play gym thing (as part of the retaining wall project, the landscapers are building a large, level play pit), fence in the back yard, add shutters to the windows, and eventually replace the brick patio with stone. It won't be too long before the outside of our house is looking pretty spiffy!

But for now we're broke. And the inside is our next priority. Coming up for the inside are finishing the basement family room/playroom, creating a "big girl bedroom" for Ellie in the guestroom (sorry, guests!), replacing all interior and exterior doors and frames, replacing the baseboards, and eventually building a new office for me. So I guess we're planning to stay here for a while!

But back to my trip. My meeting went really well yesterday. I'm glad I went and am excited about what might come from the strategy session. The travel itself was bearable, but a touch rough. For some reason, I had to fly on a little toy jet in both directions, and the best world to describe both landings is "yaw." Oh, how I hate yaw.

I stayed at a lovely Loews, which is usually a nice treat, but not this time. My room was literally on the back of the elevator bank and I could hear the elevators going up and down all night. The room wasn't even in the nicely carpeted hallway with the other guest rooms; it opened off the marble elevator lobby before the firedoors, directly across from the service doors, which slammed. A lot. My room's windows opened out directly onto a tar paper roof covered in broken glass, with nearby office windows close enough to read their cubicle posters. The walls were horribly scuffed. Worst of all, the bathroom floor around the toilet was liberally smeared with dried blood. Oh, yes. But I got in late and left early, so I didn't change rooms. By the time I noticed the bathroom floor, I was already unpacked and exhausted.

All in all, it went well and I'm glad I went and I'm glad I'm home. No matter how messy it gets here, I can still use the bathroom barefoot.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Your comments on "yaw", "liberally smeared" and "use the bathroom barefoot" had me chuckling.

The door thing, however, is exactly something I would do (just ask Scott). Glad you have returned safely.

Sarahlynn said...

My feet still feel dirty. Even though I showered.

Amy Linder said...

Hi Sarahlynn -

I just happened upon your blog and I love it! I will definitely be a faithful reader from now on.

I love reading about your experiences as a mom to an adorable special needs child. I myself am a physically disabled adult who blogs about my experiences as a mom to my beautiful, active, healthy toddler daughter. I love being a mom so much and am so proud of both my daughter and myself for all that we've been able to accomplish together.

BTW - I love your daughter's name! My daughter is Ella, although in my blog I simply refer to her as Sweetie. Trying to keep her somewhat anonymous, I suppose. Although I guess I just kind of ruined that. Oh well. :)

Anyway, everything from the style in which you write, to your cute and heartwarming stories and even your personal interests seem complimentary to my own favorite things.

Thanks for being here! I will definitely return again and again.

Holly said...

Ewwww.. dried blood? That is just... ew.

I may have to go on a business trip in early February, the first since my first child was 8 months old. I am dreading it, if I have to go. Good to know I'm not alone!

Sarahlynn said...

Hi, Jess! The home improvement is exciting. The catch is trying to find the time and motivation to do all the work. Oh, and the money . . .

Welcome, Amy! And thank you!

Holly, I hope that your trip goes at least as well as mine did!

seejanebee said...

Based on the fact that you live in kirkwood and that you have major yard construction, i think i've driven past your house. Hope that doesn't sound stalker-y, I live in the area and you don't see too many yards with bobcats in them! If it was your house I saw, the yard looked like it was going to be v. nice when finished.

Sarahlynn said...

Gulp!