Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Treading Lightly

I met someone new today, at a place where I go on Wednesdays. It was the sort of setting where people sit around a table and discuss things in an orderly fashion. I'll post the following conversation without comment.

A leader-type person asked the newcomer to introduce herself with something we didn't already know about her. Like, for example, her favorite hobby.

"Shopping."

"Oh, you went way out on a limb there! Very creative," replied a male-type person sitting next to me.

"Oh, I also love to read. And work out."

The leader-type person jumped on this promising tidbit. "What do you like to read?"

"Well, I've been a student for so long that I haven't had time to read actual books. That was my goal on my recent vacation; to start an actual book. But since I got engaged on vacation, I obviously didn't start a book. But I've always read my magazines. And lately I've been reading Bride Magazine."

3 comments:

Sarahlynn said...

Exactly! But I couldn't let the exchange pass without notice, either.

Camera Obscura said...

Still, the male-type person deserved a kick in the shin for being snarky.

Sarahlynn said...

He usually does. In this case, the male-type person is at the same, er, level (he's not a leader-type person) as the new person and they seem to be friends. So his words are slightly less harsh than they appear on screen.