Thursday, October 12, 2006

Intruder Alert

My younger sister - not LilSis, who just returned from her eco-tour honeymoon in Costa Rica; MiddleSis, the one who had her Costa Rican eco-tour honeymoon a few years ago - had the strangest experience recently.

MiddleSis was upstairs getting ready for work when she heard a clinking noise. She just knew that it was her dog downstairs in the kitchen licking out the breakfast cereal bowls, so she hollered, "LUCY!" and was surprised to hear the dog jump down from the bed in the next room.

A moment later, she heard the water downstairs turning on and off. !!!

Lucy, the apparently fairly useless guard Beagle-mix, finally went downstairs to investigate, and MiddleSis, heading stealthily down the back stairs herself, heard an older woman's voice address the dog.

"Oh, good," thought my 6 months pregnant sister, "I can take her."

It turns out that it was a woman from some agency who was supposed to be picking up someone for a court date. (Apparently, she had the wrong address.) Her instructions were to go around the back, and to go inside if no one answered the door. She'd been waiting in the living room for a while (!) but then decided to wash up the breakfast dishes.

That's exactly the sort of thing that would happen to MiddleSis. Someone broke into her house to wash her dishes. Classic.

And this is why I worry about giving Ellie a younger sister.

5 comments:

ccw said...

That's funny!

That would have scared me half to death. I cannot even imagine how weird the woman must have felt when she found out she was doing dishes in the wrong house.

themikestand said...

HAHA...awesome. Well told, Sarahlynn.

Redhead Editor said...

I thought you were going to say that the dog was doing the dishes, and I wanted that dog. But I'll take the intruder. I'll take anyone who will do housework for me.

Sarahlynn said...

CCW, I agree! I would have been scared out of my mind (and I certainly would have called Paul at work before heading down those stairs) but I bet the woman was a little freaked out too, when she realized that she was in the wrong house and could have walked into anything.

SeasonalKat, I;m thinking no!

Thanks, Mike. :)

RhE, No kidding!

selzach said...

Holy cow, I think I would've peed myself out of fear.