Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Politics, Schmolitics - Go Vote!

My glucose results came back totally normal! I was so expecting to be on a diabetic diet after failing this test that I binged a little. I can almost say that I'm regretting last night's pumpkin spice doughnut(s) Krispie Kreme run. Almost.

Today I'm ranting about political signs. I hate them. I hate them hate them hate them, and I hate that my favorite time of year is marred by them, more often than not.

I do a lot of driving around town. Starting today, I'm making a strong effort to keep my eyes up, on the beautiful treetops and amazingly blue autumn skies. This driving practice has a couple of downsides. First, of course, it keeps my eyes well off the roadway. Second, it also keeps me from seeing (and pointing out to Ellie) all the cool decorations outside people's houses, and seeing all the fantasy-worthy For Sale signs outside dream homes.

Seeing all these political signs just makes me so mad. This is, in part, because of the way the upcoming midterm election has become a one-issue election in Missouri, and it's an issue that I have very strong feelings about, as an American, as an educated person who's taken a lot of science classes, and as the mother of a child with a disability (who will very likely have Alzheimer’s someday).

Stem Cell Research

And the other side is being incredibly disingenuous.

I won't link to their sites, but they keep claiming, on every yard sign, mailing, political ad, and website, that what they oppose is human cloning. When the bill in question specifically prohibits the cloning of human embryos, this is incredibly disingenuous, extremely frustrating, and terribly effective. Dammit. I can't help wondering how many of them understand that what they're saying doesn't make sense, but it convinces voters to vote the way they'd like.

The Dems aren't without fault, though. A very common sign around these parts is, "Had Enough? Vote Democratic." Which is about the lamest campaign slogan imaginable. It's slightly more catchy than: "We might not know who we are, but we aren't them. So vote for us." I won't vote third party in this election; it's too important. But I can understand the temptation.

On the other hand, at least the pro-stem cell research lobby is staying out of the churches. Two weeks ago, our (awesome interim) minister stood in front of the congregation and invited us all to a panel discussion at another local church, which would involve speakers from a local (conservative) seminary and local university departments discussing the facts and ethical implications of the actual amendment. I thought that was appropriate. He didn't tell us how to vote, he just suggested that we go somewhere to learn the facts and make an informed decision.

Sadly, the other side hasn't shown much restraint. Not only do several local churches have large signs out front telling members how to vote (No!) but even in my own, moderate church, we have members who are disrespecting proper boundaries.

I got a large packet in the mail yesterday, chock full of printed propaganda from "pro-life" websites about the "cloning amendment," along with a letter from a fellow church member explaining why she's against the bill (as a person with disabilities). Since the church didn't authorize the mailing or provide her with the labels, perhaps this is OK, though annoying.

The professionally printed propaganda packets she leafleted the Sunday School classrooms with, however, are way beyond the pale. I had a fit of pique, and tore ours up in front of the class.

I am so burned out on all the political negativity and campaign lies, I really don't want to see it in church on Sunday morning.

No comments: