Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Mama Honey

When Ellie's listing the members of her family, or calling for me in a public space (with her hand almost cupped up near her mouth and usually when she can see me within a few feet of her, so purely for humorous effect) Ellie still calls me Mama. I've heard her say "Mommy" a time or two, but she definitely prefers Mama.

Lately, though, around the house, she's taken to calling me "Honey." Which, really, is too too funny.

This afternoon, we were outside getting the mail and she was trying to get into the car. "Go! Go!" she said. To her dismay, I carried her inside (after pushing her on the swingset until the mosquitoes came out).

After dinner, she came up to me as I was sitting on the couch.

"Car. Go. Bye bye."

Since she was clearly asking for ice cream (projecting? me? never!) and it is, after all, her Birthday Eve, we all loaded up in the car and went bye bye. To everyone's satisfaction.

Three years old tomorrow! Three! In her last week at her current preschool. Having the last of her visits with the therapy team she's seen practically since birth. Today we had our last music class and last visit with Parents as Teachers, and without noticing it we already had our last library story time weeks ago. Everything is changing! Amazing. Go bye bye indeed.

6 comments:

ccw said...

Happy Birthday, Ellie! I hope she has the best day ever.

NSBH calls me "sweetie".

Jessica said...

I still remember getting the call announcing Ellie's entrance into the world three years ago...amazing.

Although I am sometimes 'mom', Dylan still calls me 'mama' quite often.

Also, his former babysitter always called her husband 'honey' around the kids and so when he would come home from work, all of the kids she watched would clamor around him, "Honey's home, honey's home!"

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Ellie!!! I think the trip for ice cream was an appropriate suggestion--I hope it was yummy!

thistle said...

I really can't believe it's been 3 years. That's amazing. Also since I only know you online, that skews my perspective--it's extra amazing that I've "known" people I've never met for so long and heard about their lives from no children to their children's third (and more, in some cases) birthdays!

Sarahlynn said...

CCW, I love that NSBH calls you sweetie! That's beautiful.

Jessica, yes, didn't you think we were calling to make plans for that Saturday night? Funny. : ) I love that Dylan calls you Mama.

Rebecca, it was! Ellie loves her smoothies - prefers them to ice cream, in fact - and it's the only way I can get her to eat fruit. Paul and I had ice cream. Yummmm.

Thank you, Trisha! Tonight Ellie had her last visit with her current speech therapist, and I am going to miss her so much. The biggest gift this speech path has given us is that she understands Ellie and has often explained to us what Ellie says, so now we understand her much better ourselves. It's hard for me, sometimes, to be around people whose children are easily understandable by the world at large.

PPB, I could ask Paul to start calling me that in front of Ellie with the hope that it would catch on, but I think it would lose some of its charm that way. ; )

Sarahlynn said...

Thistle, I know! And to think that you probably even knew me before I was was *married* (our 6th anniversary is later this month). I've "known" some of the old Ms.ers longer than I've known a lot of my reach out and touch someone friends.