Monday, May 01, 2006

Don't Choke!

I made a low-carb chicken pot pie for dinner tonight. Ellie enthusiastically stabbed a mushroom slice with her fork . . . and choked on it.

"Are you choking?" asked Paul.

[Silence]

As if we practice this nightly, I stood up and moved behind Ellie in one smooth motion. I picked her up while pressing firmly against her stomach, and out popped the mushroom before I even had her out of her booster seat. It was so fast, she didn't even have time to get scared. Disaster averted!

***

Also, I didn't realize that Ellie had the fine motor coordination to do threading yet. It turns out that she does; she threaded her own DAFO this morning!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Your story re: Ellie made me realize the first time my son choked on something...I was at a restaurant with my mom and he was double fisting French fries - before I could stop him, he was chewing from both hands and started choking. I jumped out of the booth, jumped up and down and yelled, "He's choking! He's choking, mother...DO SOMETHING!!!"

Sarahlynn said...

Lizzi choked once, and it was awful. We came home and she met us at the door, looking up with a terribly confusioned expression, gagging but not making any noise.

I stepped over her in my haste to get to the phone, where I promptly called my mother, who was, as usual, more than 300 miles away. Fortunately, Paul managed to find the problem and fix it while my mom was calming me down.

Krupskaya said...

John started to choke on a donut hole in a grocery store when he was about 2 1/2 or 3. I realized he was choking and I was just putting my hands around his belly to give him the Heimlich, when he dislodged it himself and gagged it all over me.

Sounds like you were very cool! Good job!

Sarahlynn said...

Yuck. I'm glad it worked out, though!