Friday, May 19, 2006

Friday Science Jokes

Scene: a scientist is writing her thesis ("fruksis") to finish up her PhD. It's down to the wire and stress is high.

Astrocytes are Insensitive

I'm losing it. I just wrote "astrocytes are insensitive" in my fruksis and now I can't stop laughing. It's funny...really.



First response in comments: It's just nerves.


HAH HAH HAH! I thought this was so funny that I had to tell Paul right away. He had to immediately call and share with his sister, a high school chemistry teacher.

She responded,

A physicist, a biologist and a chemist are all walking at the beach.

The physicist is observing the waves. Water moving back and forth, and back and forth, and back and forth. She decides that it's time to do some fluid dynamics experiments with this very interesting new liquid, so she goes into the water - and drowns.

Meanwhile, the biologist is in awe with all the aquatic animals and the algae and all the biodiversity around him, so he decides to go explore the ocean. As he's never been to the beach before either, he drowns also.

The chemist, who has been sitting on the sand nearby, has been observing what the biologist and the physicist were doing, and how they disappeared into the water. The chemist then takes out a notepad and writes down one single observation:

"Physicists and biologists are soluble in ocean water"

4 comments:

Sarahlynn said...

More here! http://cosmicvariance.com/2006/02/13/bad-physics-jokes/

Rob Monroe said...

Being your SIL's hubby, I have heard the solubility joke MANy times over the last few weeks. It's getting to be funny, mostly because people realize she has picked up her dad's sense of humor.

Yep, I'm looking forward to her jokes getting "better" over the years.

Thanks for the other link to more jokes, I'll pass them on!

ccw said...

I actually just spit on myself!

Thanks for the laugh!

Sarahlynn said...

Rob, when she starts trotting out the puns, you'll just have to grin and bear it.

Thanks, CoffeeGirl and CCW!

PPB, in my opinion, those taking this credit/no credit get credit for just showing up.

Hint: astrocytes are found in the central nervous system and are technically "neuroglial cells" (IIRC, glial cells surround and support nerve cells). I only know about this because of my sister's astrocytoma experience 5 years ago. Fortunately, her tumor was sensitive to radiation.