Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Other Kind of Nursing

With my nearest and dearest, I don't always have the best bedside manner.

Oh, I was great with my sister during her brain tumor hospitalization. I was thoughtful and entertaining. I told her funny stories of the day she went to the hospital, making her laugh. She never remembered the stories when I began them again a few hours later, so I really had my routine down pat and customized to feature her favorite bits. I solicited the nurses for what she thought she needed (even when it turned out that she was regularly being given baths and clothing changes, she just couldn't remember them).

But when Paul has a cold, I stay as far away from him as possible. I can smell the mucus and sick on him, and I don't like it. I have always quietly rationalized this to myself as a sort of primitive concern about an illness in my big man.

But I'm not great with Ellie's colds either. I think she'll eventually smell like her daddy when she's sick. But I find myself acutely physically uncomfortable when I'm holding her and she's struggling to breathe through her stuffy little nose.

Then I realize that I'm holding my breath in sympathy with her labored breathing.

Or I'm clenching my teeth so tightly that my jaw aches.

Or her restless physical discomfort is causing her to repeatedly kick at me with her sharp little heels and pinch at me with her little fingers.

But the worst is when I hear her repetitive coughs or quiet fussings from her bed and know that there's nothing, nothing, nothing I can do that will make either of us feel any better.

Thank heavens Paul is coming back from his 5 day/6 night business trip tonight. He's better with the colds than I am. He'd just better be healthy.

7 comments:

ccw said...

Big hugs!

It's so difficult to deal with a sick child. The inability to truly make it better is tough. Hang in there and I hope Paul gets home really, really soon.

I spit my coffee over the part about you repeating stories to your sister. You are too funny!

Jessica said...

Poor Ellie....and poor YOU! I can totally sympathize with this post.

BStrong said...

Yuk. I absolutely hate it when my kids have colds. I can't do anything for them and I am constantly wiping their little noses with a warm washcloth to get the crusty snot off that formed around it.

Good Luck
B

Anonymous said...

I have the same issues, and I am no good at all with diarrhea or vomiting either. When the oldest were little I had to put on one of those little face masks-like one wears in surgery-and be armed with a can of Lysol and a roll of paper towels just to clean up....it was awful.

It is better now, I guess with time, comes experience but I still am rather disgusted by illness and germs. Fortunately (knocking on wood, well not really) no one in my house has been sick in some time now.

Sarahlynn said...

CCW, thank you! And Paul has been wonderful since he got home.

Jessica, thanks. And please know that you all are very much in our hearts right now.

BStrong, and if your kids are anything like mine, they hate that wiping!

PPB, thanks, we made it!

RNP, it makes me feel oddly better to hear such an experienced mom say that you feel the same way. :)

Sarahlynn said...

Not us, but if you were there and saw an adorable 3-year-old with bright red hair and Down syndrome, I know who you saw!

Unknown said...

Try to visit this site How to start a nursing agency its a nursing guide.. And its a solution to the nursing shortage crisis.