Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Discipline

I know that I was over-protective when Ellie was an infant. I'd read that perfumes could irritate a newborn, so I immediately stopped wearing anything with scent and implored my cologne-loving inlaws to do the same. I insisted that everyone wash their hands before holding her. I kept her home a lot.

In my defense, she did have a serious heart defect, and I was given to understand that it was imperative that she not get sick her first winter. And it worked; we made it through. Ellie caught her first cold over an April Easter weekend, when she was 6 months old, a safe 3 months after her heart surgery.

Discipline and protectiveness are a balancing act for new parents.

About a month after I started taking Ellie out of the house, we went to a playgroup for kids with Down syndrome. It was held in the gym of what's now Ellie's school. The bigger kids ran around and played with the equipment, while the parents and babies clustered on the mats at one end of the room.

There was a 2-year-old named Phoebe (not really; I was just watching Charmed) at the playgroup that first time we went. At this point, while I loved my daughter deeply and passionately, I was still dealing with a little bit of discomfort about Down syndrome as a large, monolithic, scary thing (was?!).

And Phoebe horrified me. She looked really disabled. And she acted, oh, she acted so horribly. She was sitting with the mamas and babies, but she was in no way careful of the babies around her. When she was frustrated or bored, she'd throw herself down and kick with abandon. And those heavy, leather shoes-over-orthotics seemed monstrously huge to me. When she was thirsty, she'd grab another child's sippy cup and drink. When she wanted a toy - even one of Ellie's specially clean ones that we'd brought from home - she'd grab that toy right out of another child's hands.

And her mother did very little about all this. Mainly, mom seemed to really enjoy relaxing and chatting with the other parents. In retrospect, this isn't so horrific for me, but at the time I was stunned. I didn't go back to that playgroup for a long, long time. It seemed to me that this mom had given up on her daughter ever learning discipline and appropriate behavior and was using her disability as an excuse not to try to teach her.

But now I understand that it was probably a relief for this mom to be in a place where her child wasn't expected to be normal. It was probably a rare occasion for her to get to sit down and talk to other moms who get it.

But at the time, I was scared to death of that child. I didn't want her scary, rough, germy self anywhere near my child, and I didn't want my child to be anything like her.

Of course, as these things go, some others are bound to see Phoebe when they look at Eleanor.

Several months later, we were at a party with friends. One family brought their little girl, who was about 5 months old at the time. Like most babies, Ellie was (and still is!) fascinated by other babies. We had been working on "gentle touch" and she knew better than to hit, bite, or scratch a little baby.

She just wanted to look at this lovely little creature on the floor next to her, and I was keeping a close eye out to make sure that Ellie didn't actually touch the little girl.

But her mama whisked that baby away from Ellie anyway, just as though Ellie were Phoebe.

Ouch.

7 comments:

Canada said...

Oh, that's just wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Poor Ellie. I know Clara would be devastated if someone refused to let her look at a baby, especially if she was being particularly quiet and gentle.

graymama said...

But now I understand that it was probably a relief for this mom to be in a place where her child wasn't expected to be normal.

Sounds like Phoebe was acting like a "normal" 2 year old :-) I do hate it though when parents do not try to shape their child's behavior, especially when it means Buddy is getting his hair pulled constantly.

I was a special ed teacher for 7.5 years and part of that time was spent in a room of 14 two year olds. Whenever a new baby came in with an older sibling, most parents did not place the baby in the carseat on the floor because "typical" 2-year-olds are egocentric, so "gentle" does not even enter their minds. I am sorry that this mama hurt your feelings and possibly Ellie's, as well. I just wanted to let you know that that situation was normal :-)

Sarahlynn said...

Canada, yeah. On the other hand, Ellie was only 1 at the time, so she probably won't remember that particular incident. And I think it's likely that the over-protective mom was just being over-protective (even though her daughter was surrounded by larger, rougher kids every day at daycare) rather than specifically concerned with Ellie's dx. But who knows . . .

Graymama, 7-1/2 years; wow! I didn't go into a lot of description about "Phoebe's" behavior. It was typical . . . to a point, but it was also clear that she was a very stubborn kid, used to getting her own way, and perhaps mom wasn't great at being consistent with setting limits and correcting unacceptable behaviors. Of course, no one's parenting is perfect all the time, least of all my own!

Sarahlynn said...

Oh, no no no! Totally not you. This was a very different situation than the sort of thing you describe.

The baby wasn't fussing, we were in a safe place for kids to just be kids, and the mom most definitely was moving her baby away from Ellie, not picking her up to change or feed or soothe her.

Jessica said...

It's late in Boston and my feet are killing me from being on a convention floor all day....as a result, I'm not going to type out all the thoughts I have on this right now. Even though it seems wrong regardless of my affiliation, clearly, I am biased.

May I just reply, however, how precious seeing her full name is to me? "Eleanor"

Anonymous said...

I have never had Miss E around any babies, but I can tell you that she is very rough with her five year old brother.

He loves to kiss her, touch her, and engage her in whatever it is he is doing. Most of the time she is game, but lately she has been letting him know she doesn't want to be bothered, by way of pushing him down or other negative behaviors.

I do all that I can to deter her from...pinching, hiting, biting, but it has been a difficult challenge, one that I never faced with the other four children. I assure you that no one has ever done these things to her.

She is known for a good fall out in the floor when she doesn't get her way. When we are in public, she is so determined to socialize with everyone, she shouts out "hey" and "hi" and doesn't give up until everyone her eyes have met, meets her.

I sometimes worry, more so now than ever, that people see her as a Phoebe.

She isn't in daycare, and doesn't get around many children besides her siblings, and I worry about how she is going to act a year from now when we are talking about preschool enrollment.

I know she is young, and I am hopeful she will learn to overcome these behaviors---but it still worries me so.

Long-winded...sorry.

Sarahlynn said...

Jessica, I hope you're having fun and walking around that beautiful city some too!

RNP, from what I understand this isn't at all uncommon. Ellie has a friend with Down syndrome who's in the other class of 2's and 3's at Ellie's school (I think she's maybe a few weeks older than Miss E) and although she's by far the smallest child in her classroom, her parents have been called in for a conference about how to handle her "rough" behavior.

Ellie's developmental therapist came down surprisingly hard on her for throwing toys (in an "I'm done with this - heave" sort of way) when she was very young - not quite one. I didn't understand why until recently. She was trying to nip stubborn and inappropriately rough behavior in the bud.

Of course, Ellie is developing some of these behaviors anyway. I saw her pushing another child for the first time this month.

I know that no two-year-old is a model of perfect behavior. But our kids are likely to have additional challenges, including with behavior. And, I suppose that means more challenges for us as parents too. But what do I know? I don't have any parenting experience to compare this to.