Sunday, May 14, 2006

Gee! Haw!

This week, I lost my last grandparent. It seems that I should be sad, but I'm not. Perhaps it will hit me later. But in reality, it seems that I lost my grandfather long ago, when my grandmother died. I defined my grandfather so much by his relationship with my grandmother, and so did he. I was 13 when she died, and we've been saying a long, slow, painful goodbye ever since. The last couple of years, there was no hint left of the man I remember. It should never be like that for anyone.

My grandfather was born in 1908. When he was a serious little boy, his father bought a brand new Model T Ford. My great grandfather was a farmer, and he worked all day every day with mules. Mules pulled the plows and did most of the heavy farm labor. On Sunday mornings, they'd ride into town to church in horse drawn wagon. Can you imagine? My grandfather remembers with fondness hitching a ride on my grandmother's family wagon. They were such a big family - 2 parents and 6 kids - that their wagon had several benches, like pews.

Anyway, on this particular day, Young Grandpa was out taking a ride in the Model T with his dad. They came to a bend in the road.

"Haw! Haw!" called my great-grandfather.

The car went straight - off the road and into the ditch.

"You'd better drive this thing on home," my great-grandfather said to his very young son. And he never drove that car again.

My grandfather, on the other hand, had many, many funny driving stories. Sometime I'll tell you the one about my grandmother, the dip in the road, and the cigar.

6 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

Happy Mother's Day, Sarahlynn!

It's nice to have a chance to remember, isn't it? On the topics of grandfathers with terrific stories, my grandfather died yesterday morning and we are now getting to share those stories about him.

My grandpa didn't ever share much about himself. I have learned more in the last 12 hours (yes 12!) than in the last 25 years.

Family is a bit relieved, and there does not seem to be sadness, but I too think it may hit later. I've had a good cry, but it was over and that was that.

I'm glad you had a chance to celebrate a wonderful life with your family.

Rob Monroe said...

Oh yeah, it was my mom's dad, not Gramps. (nobody else reading this will know who that is, but you will know the difference!)

Moreena said...

Sarahlynn,
That is one fantastic story. You are such an amazing writer. Have you heard from the Wash U. people yet?

Sarahlynn said...

Rob, I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. And, thank you for the lovely card, by the way!

Moreena, thank you! I haven't heard anything yet and it's driving me crazy. Me being me, I want very much to keep submitting things.

"Oh, you didn't like that? Well how about this? And I've been polishing for a few days, so maybe this version is better now? What, my non-fiction's no good? How about some short stories? I've got this one about Wonder Woman . . ."

Blah.

ccw said...

Happy (belated) Mother's Day!

Thanks for sharing the story. Sorry about your grandfather.

Sarahlynn said...

Thanks, CCW and PPB!