Monday, April 03, 2006

Recognizance

Here in St. Louis we have a very cool (free!) alternative paper called The Riverfront Times (RFT). Each week, they highlight a "blog of the week," and a couple of weeks ago it was me. They highlighted my Parenting Olympics post (which, I might add, did not translate well onto newsprint without the HTML formatting).

I thought this was pretty cool, so I wore my super phat Snapshirts t-shirt everywhere I went for a week to see if I'd get recognized. (Not really. But I did wear it to the library for Story Time.)

I found out that I was featured because a friend of a friend read it and told him and he called Paul and, well, you see. Anyway, I went along in my way, always a little surprised when I start to tell a story to someone and they've already read it here. In fact, today I got a wonderful surprise hug at work from someone who read my last post (though obviously not at work! who would do that?) and thought I could use it.

But today for the first time I got recognized. And that was interesting. I mean, it wasn't a true stranger recognition. I worked near this person years ago and she read about "Sarahlynn" and thought, gee, I don't know too many "Sarahlynns." But until I post a picture of me that's not two years old, with me hiding behind my daughter, I'm not likely to be truly recognized in public by the multitudes.

So, anyway. I see that the snapshirts link doesn't really work. That's too bad. I totally love my shirt and want to order another one someday. Like, a smaller one. Yay! But more on that tomorrow.

In the meantime, about my constant companion, anxiety. I'm starting my first ever yoga class on Thursday, with a friend so I know that I absolutely have to go. This is good. I signed up for a yoga class once before. I consider it a charitable donation since I didn't attend a single class. But this time, I'll be downward facing dogging on a weekly basis. And then perhaps this knot formerly known as my stomach will relax occasionally.

You know what? I think maybe sometimes it feels good to just be just a little bit unravelly.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

I think you are right re: being unravelly.

That's great that you were able to figure out how your post/blog got referred - when they featured mine in January, I was unable to determine how it happened.

Oh, and I'll be interested in what you think about yoga - keep me posted.

Canada said...

Oh, how I can relate! I was terrified when I went to my first yoga class. All I could think was "what if everyone else can do that legs around the neck thing, and I look like an idiot?" Turns out, no one could do that, and we were all beginners becoming intermediate. It was AWESOME!!! I miss it (have to find a new place, that location closed). Just a suggestion - get yourself a big bag of epsom salts, and have a hot bath with the salts after the class, AND the next night, too. Your muscles will feel the most sore the second day after (but sore in a good way, like you've stretched and strengthened muscles that have been asleep for too long). Have fun!!

Camera Obscura said...

So, the snapshirt didn't work. Try this. Or this. And maybe put your URL on the back.

I do have the shirt, but I didn't put the URL on it.

kairos said...

Hey, very cool for your RFT recognition. I remember reading the RFT when I was a Saint Louisian...

Neat.

Sarahlynn said...

Jessica, I don't know how my blog got selected for the RFT - maybe they check STLBloggers.com? I just meant that I found out that they'd featured me when Steve read it in the RFT and called Adam, who called Paul, who told me. Or something like that. :)

Canada, I wasn't expecting pain! Thanks for the heads up. In truth, it was only partially fear of yoga that kept me from going last time. I found out about Ellie's problems the afternoon of my first evening class, and after that I found it much more difficult to participate in "normal" prenatal activities with other pregnant women.

Camera, I don't know if I really want the recognition. But it's fun to play around with the shirts! I like the women's "I'm blogging this" one. I do have a Blogger t-shirt, but no one knows what that weird B symbol stands for. Plus, I don't wear brown t-shirts very often.

Thanks, Kairos!

Psycho Kitty said...

Oh, yoga rocks! I bet you'll be surprised.

CJ said...

I had two articles printed in a local paper here similiar to yours. It's a wonderful feeling! Congrats!