Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter!

First, a clarification. Because we talk about things like this, my dad said that "Maundy" is from the Latin "to wash," referring to Christ washing the feet of the disciples.

As Jesus washed the disciples' feet, he talked of the importance of serving one another. [Faith, without works, is nothing, after all.] And from there, John writes of the new commandment Jesus gave to the disciples:
I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.
Now that that's cleared up, moving right along.

We had a lovely Easter at my parents' house in Northwest Indiana, where, surprisingly, it was warm and even sunny. Ellie did fantastically throughout the 14+ hours she spent in the car this weekend.

She loved hunting for plastic Easter eggs:


She also had an absolutely fabulous time at the beach on Saturday:


And while I'm in a picture posting mood, here's a "before" picture of me, and a "during" picture. (We're not quite to "after" yet!)


Here's hoping this serves as motivation for me! I've had a weekend off, and now I'm back on the (sugarless) wagon.

8 comments:

Angela said...

Wow! You look great! Congratulations to you.

Canada said...

You look great! And the good news is that the "chocolate holidays" (Hallowe'en, Christmas, Valentine's, Easter) are over until October!

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos! I hope you enjoyed your holiday.

This year I only purchased a insignificant amount of chocolate so that I would not end up eating a significant amount myself.

What a difficult Easter-I gave up caffeine four days ago, and didn't indulge in chocolate. Maybe one day soon I will be celebrating a bit of weight loss (finger crossed-well not really).

Sarahlynn said...

Thanks, Angela! I'm feeling better too. I couldn't wait to work out as soon as I got home last night, which is a very good thing.

Thanks, Canada! And by October, hopefully I'll be pretty close to my goal weight and able to indulge a little (within reason, of course).

RNP, thanks and I did! I went cold turkey on caffeine a few years ago (I'm back on, but in limited doses). Unfortunately, I found myself eating to stay awake! Here's hoping that it works out much better for you . . . : )

Jessica said...

Ellie, as always, is adorable...and you, lady, look GREAT!! The way you look in your "during" picture reminds me of your engagement photos - you really look terrific!

Karen Sapio said...

Umm . . . Maundy is from the Latin word "Mandatum" meaning commandment. As in "a new commandment I give unto you." The Latin word for wash is lave from which we get the word Pedalavium, or footwashing, which we in churches often do on Mandy Thursday. (Sorry to sound so insufferably pedantic . . .) Great pics, very cute kiddo!

Unknown said...

you look beautiful. brava!

Sarahlynn said...

Thanks, Jessica! I am about Engagement Pictures + 35, but I am certainly feeling pretty happy nonetheless.

Thanks, PPB and Anne!

Hi, PureChristianIThink! Welcome! You're not being pedantic - and I am often rather pedantic myself anyway, so I wouldn't mind if you were.

I've read the Mandatum reference in several places, and believe that you are correct. What I believe my father was referring to was a related - and perhaps not mutually exclusive reading:

"Possibly the name derives from the Latin mundo, "to wash," referring to Christ's washing the feet of the apostles."
http://www.elmwoodpres.org/daysmarch.html
http://mb-soft.com/believe/txw/maundy.htm
http://www.episminu.org/maundy_thursday.htm