Thursday, April 27, 2006

At-Home Thursday

Ellie didn't sleep much last night. For the last couple of days, she's been ranging farther afield and playing more independently while awake, but wanting to be held and cuddled constantly at naptime and at night. Preferably with deep eye contact and intermittent but priceless smiles. Smiles is too dim a word; it's pure love beaming from her beautiful little face. It's precious; it's wonderful; it's completely understandable. It's also a little hard to see the forest for the trees in the middle of the second night of interrupted sleep.

This morning started early, especially for Paul. He got up with Ellie to let me "sleep in," which, as is usually the case, was not very effective but I appreciate it very much anyway.

He left for work, and we got ready for the day. Ellie's Developmental Therapist ("Special Instruction," special ed for the under-3 set, Parents As Teachers Parent-Educator x 10, school diagnostician, etc.) arrived at 8:30 for a productive hour-long session.

After she left, Ellie went potty and we had a talk about the merits of sleep versus library story time given the previous night's lack of rest. She chose sleep, but fewer than 10 minutes into the warm-up, she looked up at me mischievously and said, "Potty?" Unlikely to be true so soon after an extended session on that throne, but an effective stalling technique.

We gave up on an early nap and went to story time. This was perhaps a bad idea, but it was definitely a better idea than both of us being home and cranky. There was a minor injury (mom's fault) and some fussing (the exhaustion's fault) and we ended up leaving story time a little early.

We went to Creve Coeur Park to swing for a little while, in an attempt to stay on a normal schedule. By this time it was nearly 11:00. We swang and sang and explored (tiny pebbles! dandelions!) for half an hour or so, then loaded back into the car.

We headed over to daddy's office and picked him up for lunch. Super cool daddy even changed a diaper before heading back in to the daily grind.

Ellie fell asleep on the way home, then slept in her own bed for about 45 minutes. When she woke up, sort of, I brought her into bed with me and we cuddled until she fell asleep again. Eventually I got up and took care of stuff, like the surveyor coming out to mark our property line in preparation for a potential backyard fence.

Ellie continued to sleep. I straightened up the living room. Had some yogurt and read a little. And curled back up around her in bed just before she started to wake up, so that I was there when she opened her eyes. She grinned and closed them again for a little while so that I could watch her chest rise and fall.

We got up, went potty, and she had a snack while I started a pot of chili for dinner. Then we went outside to play, shortly before daddy came home.

Mommy and daddy caught up while pushing Ellie on her new swing (more on that as soon as I remember to take a camera outside with me!) then Ellie got chili while I headed off to yoga.

Ellie and daddy followed along to The Lodge and played in the pool while I moaned through a less-than-total-relaxation yoga class. As always, it ended well.

When I got home, Ellie was nearly asleep. I did get a brief turn with her to remind her that I love her, then it was Sarahlynn and Paul - not mommy and daddy - time.

We ate chili and veggies and watched a Daily Show. Then we drank caffeine- and sugar-free cafe mochas and watched House while sorting mail and folding laundry (washed by daddy!). Paul was passing out by this time, so he headed off to bed.

I finished the weekly menu and grocery list and blogged for a while, before curling up in bed with my book. OK, that last bit was speculative fiction. But I plan to do it soon!

2 comments:

ccw said...

Sounds like a nice day.

I did get in bed with a book, but I only managed to read half a page. Then I thrilled Mr. MFBA by falling asleep during sex. LOL! I cannot wait to not be pregnant.

Sarahlynn said...

CCW, hah! I'm laughing at how he must have felt, but also in a bit of disbelief that you're still having sex at this point - in labor, no less! You're amazing.

Yesterday was a nice day. It's what a stay-at-home-mom day *should* be like, I think. Of course, they're not really all like that . . .