Thursday, March 30, 2006

8 Days

I don't think this will be too difficult in a few years. Sure, a lot of it will stay the same. Ellie is already sure of what she wants and when, so that part is not likely to change much. We already have a busy schedule and drive hither and yon all day. There are other things to worry about with older children, of course, but I'll be worrying about them regardless of whether or not Paul's home.

And let's be honest. Dealing with issues like Transition to the School District and IEP and Service Coordination isn't exactly relaxing.

But in a few years, my child will be able to dress herself, to get herself a drink and a snack, to not need me to get up with her every time she needs to potty . . . and sit with her reading books and singing songs for however long that takes.

I love the alone time together. I love doing stuff and talking and sharing experiences. But the increasing self-sufficiency is awesome.

On a related note, in response to everyone who said, "Be careful what you wish for" with the walking, well, Ellie's been walking all over the place for months now. And it's better than I dared hope. I have never, ever, not even once wished to have her weak-legged again.

Not when she's walking off the mark at the photographer's over and over again, not when she plops down in goose poop in the school parking lot, and certainly not when she runs down the driveway, stopping right at the edge of the street, then leans out a little further and shouts, "No!"

Other amusing Ellie anecdotes.

On our way to this morning's playdate, Ellie's one toy to take with us in the car was Backpack. On our way to tonight's dinner out with friends, her one toy was a paper grocery bag from Whole Foods.

Ellie is so empathetic. She doesn't like to be left alone at the table to eat (which occasionally happens, like when I'm still cooking the side dishes or pouring drinks). She assumes that Lizzi must feel the same way, so she likes to sit on the floor right beside Lizzi while Lizzi's eating her dinner. Sometimes she reaches out to touch her gently. Fortunately, Lizzi doesn't mind this from Ellie. Priceless.

I wish I'd taken a picture of that, and one of Ellie looking melancholily and contemplatively out the car window while listening to Simon & Garfunkel this evening. I would have given anything to know what she was thinking.

Hey! Paul will be home soon!

9 comments:

ccw said...

I agree, I am torn between a sadness over the loss of baby-ish behavior, but watching the learning and growth is amazing.

It is certainly bittersweet and it hasn't become any easier for me as Kid L has grown older. Learning to walk has been replaced by talk of puberty and it seems just as hard as letting go of the baby behavior.

Sarahlynn said...

Oh, I know that there are always issues to deal with and worry about as children grow!

I'm just wrapping up 8 days with Ellie while Paul's been out of town, and deciding that physically caring for her one-on-one will be easier as she gets older and won't need me as much for basic maintenance.

I know that there will always be issues for us to confront, but I'll be very involved with that whether or not Paul's in town!

It's just the not having a relief person for baths, meals, etc. that's been tiring me out.

Camera Obscura said...

What school district are you guys in? I know a couple of people in that area, but nobody with one as young as Ellie.

It really does get easier to take care of a special as they get older, but the IEPs, especially the Transition ones, are still nerve-wracking. We just did #2-Son's transition to high school. A lot of the things we talked about, the high school people said, "You can talk to the Freshman principal about that," and I was kinda like, "So, why isn't that person here then?" I think I'm going to spend some time in that person's office this June and early August...

I will tell you now that most of the day-to-day people in SSD that you deal with are caring, loving people, bless 'em. For both the middle school and high school transitions, #2-Son's current people have said plaintively, "Can't we just keep him one more year?" His current shadow was thinking of transfering to high school with him, until her daughter in Minnesota got very ill. We've been invited north to ride her horses on their new spread.

Did you see the picture of Lauren Henneke in the Health section of the P-D a few weeks ago? Daughter has grown up with her. If you'd like, I'll get the Henneke's contact info for you.

CJ said...

My husband hasn't been out of town for any long length of time, but after days like today, I kind of wish the girls WERE older so this would be easier. And then I feel guilty for trying to rush a small dot of time that already goes too fast.

A conundrum!

Sarahlynn said...

Camera, I just focus on the next transition and try not to look too far ahead. It's been working OK so far!

Grace, true, true. I should have clarified that I always tell her that Lizzi doesn't like to be touched when she eats, and move Ellie away. I've seen Lizzi snap at a (larger) dog when she's eating and I don't want there to ever be a first time with Ellie.

Pajama Mama, and you have more than one! Whenever I'm stressed over all the care that my one young child takes, I step back and think of how different things would be if I had more than one, like my friend Jeni who has 3 girls under age 3. Gulp.

Sarahlynn said...

Camera, who is Lauren Henneke?

CJ said...

Yes, I have more than one, but it was TOTALLY on purpose!! My son is older, so he's more of a help than anything. As for the girls, when we found out we were getting ONE of them, we thought "why not two??" Two sisters more alike than different. Two sisters who share an extra chromosome and have an instant ally in life.

Two sisters to be the best of friends and the worst of enemies. Double the trouble, but double the rewards! I laugh a LOT more than I cry!!

Holly said...

My husband travels a lot Sarahlynn, so I totally know the difficulty of being a single parent during those times. It is exhausting!!

Sarahlynn said...

Pajama Mama, that is well said and just plain beautiful.

Holly, you have my admiration! So many mamas do this. I will probably get better with practice!