Monday, November 14, 2005

No, Not Yet. Soon.

Setting the scene:
Ellie took her first independent steps in August, when she was 22 months old. 2-1/2 months later, at 25 months old, she can walk from Paul to me, or walk from one play area at school to the next. Her range is about 10 feet. Because of her slightly low muscle tone, she can't progress quite as quickly as most kids from those first steps to running all over the house. I estimate that she's at least a couple of months away from being a truly independent walker.

Dear parents of typically developing children,

You ask me if Ellie is walking yet, and I respond that she is still learning. Then you tell me, "Be careful what you wish for," or "Count your blessings!"

Stop it.

You complain that it's so hard, chasing after an active, curious toddler all day. I'm sure it is. But really, you should be counting your blessings too. Every day, I am grateful for mine. Regularly, I comment that if I had to have a child with a disability, we've really hit the jackpot with this one, in so many many ways.

But. Imagine having to carry your 2-year-old every time you leave the house. Imagine every trip to the park, carrying your heavy child from the car to the playground, then from one piece of equipment to another.

It's hard to control an energetic toddler in the store, I know. Why don't you just strap him into a shopping cart or stroller? Oh, he wants to get down and explore so he screams when he's strapped down?

My child feels the same way and responds the same way. But if I take her out of the stroller, she doesn't just run around and get underfoot. She sits down, right on the wet, filthy floor. So it's screaming in the stroller or struggling in my arms, everywhere we go, all the time.

It's not always much fun to go out, as you can imagine. She can't stand next to me while I open the car door, pay the cashier, or fish something out of my purse. She's in my arms or on the floor, because she can climb out of that stroller in no time flat.

Please feel free to tell me the things you find wonderful about my child. Please feel free to tell me how beautiful, how clever, how sweet, how wonderful you find her. But please think before you talk. And please don't act like I somehow have it easier than you do, just because my child is doing some things more slowly.

Thanks,
--Sarahlynn

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes,,,,beautifully said!

angie said...

I agree completely!! It took my Emma a long time to walk, and I heard those comments many times. I just wanted to SCREAM!! Why wouldn't I wish for my child to be able to walk?? That IS the next step toward independence, right? I know that people just try to say the right thing, but sometimes it hurts more than it helps.

Robert Hudson said...

I get the exact same thing in regards to my daughter, who cannot speak and never will. "I can't get my kid to shut up!" If they understood that the trade-off would be to live a life without ever hearing the words "I love you" come out of their child's mouth, I wonder if they'd still find me so lucky.

Redhead Editor said...

You continue to teach me every time I read blog entries like this. I have much to learn. May I continue to grow more sensitive because of you.

Krupskaya said...

I have never understood the "I know better" comments from other parents. I've always despised them and promised myself never to say "Count your blessings" or anything that "jokingly" disparages a child. Why would any parent want a child to not develop?

Very well said, BTW.

Sarahlynn said...

Thank you all!

What could be better than a supportive audience for my rants?

Sarah said...

I have come here because I see you comment on Moreena's blog all the time. Youre daughter is just beautiful.

I can relate to what you say in this post. There was a time when my daughter Anna was in the PICU. I had to run home to pick up clothes and such. I stopped by at my nieghbor/friend that lives in the same building, who's daughter was just 2 months older than Anna. I walk in, we talk for a minute, then her daughter wanted to be held (only 7 months old at the time.) She starts to complain that she has to hold her all day or she will cry for her attention. I grab her daughter and just hold her. I asked her to hold her daughter, cherish the fact that she has her home with her, you can hear her cries, and you get to hold her. I hadn't been able to hold Anna for a couple weeks at this point.

My advice for everbody is, don't ever take your childs health for granted. Great post!

Sarahlynn said...

So true, so true, and such a good reminder.

There are nights when I really don't want to nurse Ellie. I'm tired, I don't want to be touched, whatever.

I'd almost forgotten pumping behind an ugly screen while Ellie lay in a PICU bed: unable to be held, unable to nurse.

Now I want to go wake her just to pick her up and cuddle her some more.

Sarahlynn said...

Suzanne, 48 pounds! You have my sympathy.

I have read your blog and enjoyed it; I can't imagine why I didn't already have you on my blog role. I hope you don't mind that I added you!