Monday, November 21, 2005

My New Friend

Ellie has made me a new friend. I have met other moms I like through play groups and Gymboree, it's true. But this is the first time that Ellie has formed an attachment to another little girl, starting a chain of events that leads to me getting to know the girl's mother and liking her very much. Ellie changes and enriches my life in so many ways just by being. The newer ways in which she influences me, by taking actions all on her own, take my breath away. Thank you, Ellie.

On an unrelated note, Ellie really loves chapstick. She purses up her lips for it, which is adorable, then kisses me on my cheeks with her sticky, chapsticky lips. That part is a little gross, but it's a major triumph because we're moving away from full-on use of the tongue in kissing, which is nice. Fortunately, she only tongue kisses Paul and me. When others ask for a kiss, they get a precious blown kiss from an appropriate distance. Paul and I have been wondering when Ellie would learn to kiss without licking our cheeks. It looks like pursing her lips for my beloved chapstick has done the trick.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

This is wonderful...

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have a bit of an addiction to chapstick. I have to have it with me - if not on my lips, then at least in my pocket. If I reach for it and it's not there, I get very nervous. Ridiculous, I know.

Sarahlynn said...

Oh, me too. Chapstick and hand lotion. If you ever see me without a purse, check Paul's pockets. It's a good bet that he's carrying for me!

ccw said...

I am also a chapstick addict. I have tubes of it in various locations throughout the house so that I can have moisture for my lips at any given time.

I'm glad to hear that other babies tongue kissed. Being licked, while a sweet gesture, was downright gross. Baby H also loves chapstick and lipstick. She won't purse her lips, but forms an "O" and holds still.

Moreena said...

Chapstick addiction here, too! It is pretty much the first thing Annika asks for when she comes up from anesthesia, every time.