Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Unbecoming

I'm feeling a little ugly.

I have a friend and co-worker I'm jealous of. I never used to be. And I still like her just as much as always. But, but.

Recently she was promoted. We were at the same level, promoted in lock-step twice. Now, although we still have the same jobs, she's technically a significant level higher than I. It's a promotion I almost surely would have gotten too if I'd stayed at work full time rather than taking a year off then coming back only part time.

I understand the way I feel. I don't regret that I chose to stay home with Ellie, and that I have chosen to make my former career secondary to my new career for now.

But that doesn't mean that I don't miss the way things used to be, too. I miss being responsible for bringing in millions of dollars of revenue for the company. I miss traveling all over the country making presentations to introduce our textbooks to educators and decision-makers. I miss the pace, I miss the excitement.

I still love the work and am very grateful for this perfect job arrangement I've got. But I'm also still jealous.

1 comment:

Redhead Editor said...

I hear ya, SL. I figured out long ago that when I chose to come in at 7 and leave at 3 (instead of 9-5), I put myself on the "mommy track," never to be promoted. Our company offers flexibility, but in the end, they only promote those who "play the game." I feel your pain, and it's ok to voice your jealousy. Now it's out there and over with instead of festering inside, only to leap out at the most inapporpriate time (like that birthday gathering in the department). (Secretly dying to know who it is.)