Thursday, November 17, 2005

Two, Two, and More Two

Physically, Ellie's two. She's wearing mostly 24-month clothes, she's learning to walk, she's getting better at feeding herself with a spoon, and she's interested in learning to use an open cup.

Behaviorally, Ellie is very two. In addition to the straight-up cute stuff, like the tickling games and brief phone conversations:

Hi, Ellie!

Hi! Hi! Hi, Mama!

Did you have a good day at school today?

Blah Blah Blah BLAH BLAH blah-blah.
Mulk! Mulk!
Bye!
(slams phone down.)

Bye!

There are also the not-so-nice but still adorable and developmentally appropriate milestones. Like the way Ellie loves to say, "No no no" and "Uh oh!" as she drops or throws everything onto the floor.

Chronologically, Ellie is two. 25 months old already! She had a Dora the Explorer-themed party with guests: two little girls from her school (both with Down syndrome) and her 10-month old buddy (formerly known as the cutest little plague carrier in the world.) Ellie loves Backpack, so that's what I did for her cake. I went, perhaps, a bit overboard. She cried when we cut backpack, and would not eat any. The toddler-friendly pinata (no hitting) was also a bit scary when Dora's bottom opened and the prizes started falling on her head. Otherwise, the party was a success.



But that's just the fluff.

Mentally, Ellie might just be two as well. Granted, Ellie's pediatrician only sees her irregularly and mostly hears her success stories. And at Ellie's lengthy and wonderful two-year-old check-up, Ellie presented her doctor with a picture of herself, "Muh!" she indicated with a hand to her chest, as she passed the picture to Dr. Jan and mugged adorably. That's a pretty cool cognitive leap, to realize that the cute baby in the picture is, in fact, herself. Dr. Jan said that although she's so young and these things are impossible measure, etc., etc., of course Ellie has above average intelligence for someone with Down syndrome. And, in fact, she probably has above average intelligence, period.

Verklempt.

Now, Dr. Jan is an optimistic sort, so I'm very pleased but am not counting Ellie's chickens before she can. But I did mention the doctor's assessment to Ellie's developmental therapist today. This woman is the local gymnastics coach for Special Olympics, has a Masters in Special Education, works with children ages 0-3, and is trained as a school diagnostician (testing and evaluation). She's been working with Ellie for well over a year, and she said:

"Don't lower your expectations."

I won't, Ellie, I won't. But I also won't push you so hard that you're miserable. I want you to accomplish all that you can, and I am thrilled beyond measure that you might have the opportunity to go away to college someday, but I will try to let you choose your own path.

Happy (belated) second birthday, sweetheart.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Sarahlynn, I love this post...and I am so proud of (and happy for) Ellie. I hope you know how much Scott and I love her and how we hope to be present at all of her milestones.

Moreena said...

Happy happy birthday, Ellie. Reading about you makes me smile.

Sarahlynn said...

Thank you, Jessica, Grace, Moreena, and PPB!

Moreena, it's so good to "see" you here! I hope this means that all is well.

Psycho Kitty said...

Happier than I can say that your beautiful girl had a happy 2. And hey! We did Dora, too! We love that Dora!

hybrid said...

That made me sniffle. And not just because I can't believe that Ellie is two already. :p

Redhead Editor said...

Dora and Ellie are the bomb. Thank God kids are past the Barney crap. I'm doing my happy dance for this beautiful 2 year old.

Unknown said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Sweet Ellie......you are such a princess and we are so blessed to get to celebrate you through your Mommy's blog!

It looks like you had a magical and delightful birthday and we hope this year of being two brings so many new things to do......and lots of joy and happiness.

Big birthday hugs and kisses from Emma Sage and her Mommy

Mustang Sally said...

Great post - Happy Birthday you sweet adorable wonderful girl!