Saturday, March 04, 2006

Arrivederci, Olympics

Nearly a week after the rest of the world said goodbye to the Torino games, I just finished watching the closing ceremony. And, sadly, it occasions another edition of the Biased Media Watch.

The ceremony was lovely and appropriate.

Until the end.

I don't understand what Ricky Martin was doing there. Avril Lavigne is Canadian, Andrea Bocelli is Italian, but Ricky Martin . . . ? Whatever. Odd but not offensive.

His backup dancers dressed like very cheap biker babe whores? Unacceptable.

Here's a lovely, formal-but-fun ceremony celebrating, oh, world peace, collaboration, and athletic achievement. Sport. And then . . . it gets all nasty and women are back to being eye candy sex symbols again. Back to reality, folks.

And . . . I couldn't find a single news article that mentioned it.

1 comment:

selzach said...

I'm glad you wrote about the whole deal with Ricky Martin and the scantily-clad dancers. I had completely forgotten about it (I have about 0 short term memory these days). I ended up fast-forwarding through the end of the closing ceremony, but I remember thinking WTF when Ricky and crew came on. Geez now we need sexxeee women to sell the Olymics, too? Sad.