Friday, March 03, 2006

Spuds

I'm back from San Antonio, where it was lovely and warm. Or so it looked from the cabs. Sadly, I only ate in my hotel and only walked around hotels, conventional halls, and airports. But it was a good trip nonetheless! And it felt amazing to hug Ellie so tightly tonight. Paul made black bean flautas for dinner last night, and I had the leftovers when I got home. That's the closest I got to authentic Tex-Mex cooking this week.

At the same hotel as the convention I attended, on the same floor as our exhibit hall, was a convention for the United States Potato Board. The first thing I could see as I came up the escalator was a long table covered with dozens of bowls of potatoes. There was a poster of the Mr. Potato Head balloon from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on a brass stand outside the meeting room. And, best of all, they were there for the 2006 Chip Seminar! Clearly, I'm in the wrong field.

Finally, a note from my new series on the The Biased Media Watch (The BMW).
Former Congressman Gets Eight-Plus Years
By SETH HETTENA, Associated Press Writer
Note how the convict's party is never directly identified, only implied, and that late in the article? Guess what party "Duke" Cunningham belongs to. Now note how two other congressmen-turned-convicted criminals (news stories 4 and 18 years ago, respectively) are identified by their parties in the article. Guess which parties they belong to. Uh huh.
Seth, honey, your bias-cut slip is showing, dear.

1 comment:

Rob Monroe said...

WOW - A potato Chip Seminar would be my heaven. I can't eat them to begin with, so they are even more tempting! I swear that this diet thing is going well as far as the first four days go I have only had two cravings - one of which was McDonalds french fries! To make it worse is that the ladies at work decided on none other than McDonalds yesterday. Oh wait, the only worse thing was that just to bother me I was asked twice by the same person if I wanted a big mac. Grr.

Glad you're home safely!