Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Glass Pane

When I was young, we lived in a gorgeous old manse(2). One of its many charming details was a glass door in place of a screen one, complete with individual panes.

We loved running around that old place. One summer day when I was about 6-1/2 and my sister Jessica was about 4, she was chasing me around. I wanted to run outside, so I headed for the front door. The heavy, wooden inner door was standing wide open and I ran for the glass door with one hand extended, straight out in front of me. I hit the handle perfectly and continued on across the porch and down the front steps.

Jessica mimicked me exactly, but several inches shorter.

Her extended right hand went straight through the glass pane.

My mother assessed everything quickly from the kitchen, where she was washing dishes. Quicker than humanly possible, she grabbed a retired cloth diaper from the plastic bin under the sink. Still holding her dish towel, she ran to Jessica almost before the glass finished falling. She grabbed Jessica's arm and wrapped her hand in the towel and diaper, then herded all three of us - Grace would have been 1 at the time - into the old green van parked at the curb.

Oh, that van. Three tones of green on the outside, with shag carpeting and wood paneling on the inside. Gorgeous.

Before you could say, "Bob's Your Uncle" we were off for our pediatrician's office up at the hospital. We were all jammed into an exam room with the old doc and his wife, the nurse, before I fully registered what was going on.

They removed the wound's dressing. There was no blood.

We have some dispute on the details here. My mother insists that the skin must have been broken because they gave Jessica a tetanus shot. I believe that they did so to humor my mother; my sister was only gently scratched.

Regardless, it is hilarious in retrospect and at family gatherings into perpetuity. And if it happened today, we never would have made it to the doctor. At the end of the business day, my poor mom would have been still out at the curb trying to secure 3 lively young children into safety seats in that van.

6 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

How sweet of you! About four years ago, I was much much older than 6 1/2, I locked my keys in my car at a metro lot. My brother was there, as was a friend from camp. The camp friend had insisted on riding with me up to Maryland because he thought it was more interesting than sitting at the airport all day waiting for his INTERNATIONAL flight, scheduled for departure at 4:30.
It was 3:00 when we discovered the keys on the seat. It was too late to wait for AAA. It was Friday, so traffic was worse than usual on the Capital Beltway.
We looked for something to break the smallest window in the back door. Mag Light flashlight? nope, not strong enough. We ended up using an inline skate! My brother was the genius that reached his arm through the shards of glass, though I was suggesting we could break more out, and cut his bicep.

He, unlike Jessica, still has the scar and gives me grief about it from time to time.

ccw said...

Such a great story! I love how quickly your mom reacted.

Jessica said...

Thanks for humoring me, Sarahlynn - I've always loved this story (and your mama).

Sarahlynn said...

Rob, so, did your friend make his flight?

CCW and Jessica, it's one of my favorite stories too. Especially as a mom, I can totally imagine how that could happen.

Rob Monroe said...

Yeah, we made it to the airport like 30 minutes before his flight. This was pre-9/11, so he made it okay. I was embarassed for weeks.

Sarahlynn said...

Good! (About the flight, not the embarassment.)