Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Stream of XXciousness

After 6 days with laryngitis, I finally have my voice back today. I'm a little hoarse and I can't sing, but I can talk and not elicit "poor baby"s from everyone I speak to. What is the correct way to punctuate that "baby?" It's not technically correct to say "babies" in quotation marks because no one refers to me in the plural. Especially now that I'm losing weight and I'm not pregnant.

Which reminds me. A woman I know announced today that she is pregnant. In her defense, she's waited a long time for this news (her son is 3-1/2) so this isn't one of those irritating situations where someone is ambivalent about being pregnant and gets there on the first try.

And my last friend who did get pregnant on her first try lost the baby, horribly.

Another woman I know is scared about going in for a hysterectomy next week.

A woman she knows is about to have either chemotherapy or a hysterectomy for her second molar pregnancy.

I have another friend whose daughter is about to turn two. They nearly died two years ago, from a placental abruption.

And this isn't even going into the most common cause of death for pregnant women.

So much can go wrong. So much. Being a woman is no cakewalk. Especially since we're still expected to bake most of the cakes. (The above referenced group discussion about hysterectomies turned into a commiseration session about how few of the husbands could do more than scramble eggs for dinner, putting pressure on the women to recover quickly for surgery.)

On a happier note, I really enjoyed a couple of hours of having two babies today, when I picked up Oliver from daycare and kept him for a bit. He and Ellie did a great job playing together and both seemed to have a blast:

3 comments:

ccw said...

Glad you're feeling better, baby!

If you would like 2 babies, come visit Cincy this summer. I am certain that I could give you some time with the baby so that I can bathe or sleep or sleep. :)

mypetrock said...

Congratulations on being the RFT Blog of the week. I'll pick up a copy for you.

Sarahlynn said...

CCW, if I'm ever in your neck of the woods . . . Actually, I do have sister who lives in a bourbon-swilling border town not so far away from you. Hmm.

Rock, thank you! I guess I'd better wait on that series of naked pics I was planning to post.