Sunday, December 04, 2005

Wicked Good

The first act left my jaw on the floor. If you'd asked me about the show during intermission, I would have sounded like an uncultured Midwesterner. "I don't - I've never seen - wow!" My mother, who always made a point to insure that we were regularly exposed to music, theater, dance, and art, would be embarrassed.

But the costumes! The lighting! The set! The acting! The music! The singing! It was all amazing. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.

I was a little less impressed with Act II. Some of the punny lines followed too closely on the heels of tragedy. There were a couple of very small lighting gaffes. Some of the deviations from the book were frustrating . . . spoiler coming . . . like the happy ending, for example.

Still, it was a great show. One of my favorite things about the story is the discussion of the perception of evil: how a woman who doesn't look or act "pretty" but speaks her mind with unpopular opinions is considered Wicked. Some of my favorite things about the musical were the duets between the real main couple in the show, Elfaba and Glinda. There were a couple of harmonizing parts where I had goose bumps all over. Stephanie Block can really bring down the house.

But - how did everyone keep from getting all green when they touched her?

9 comments:

ccw said...

I shouldn't have read, but I couldn't help myself. I am going to see this in March and I cannot wait.

Sarahlynn said...

At first I thought the show wouldn't live up to the hype. Then I relaxed, let it sweep me away, and was glad that I was wrong.

Enjoy!

Jessica said...

Sarahlynn, we LOVED it (I agree with your comments on the first vs. second act). We've got the soundtrack that the woman playing Elphaba won a Tony for (too lazy to look up her name right now). In my opinion, she doesn't even come close to touching the power in Stephanie Block(buster)'s performance.

Gosling said...

Saw it in August for my birthday and LOVED it! I'm so glad you had a good time too. It restored my faith in musical theater, for a minute. Oh. And the San Francisco audience? Half the fun!
Amazon

Sarahlynn said...

Amazon - I bet!!

Jessica - Ellen loved the soundtrack first, before she saw the show, and she feels exactly the opposite! (Which makes sense, I guess.)

Jeremy - yes! That's it exactly about the tragedy and the ending. Yes yes yes.

Jessica said...

Interesting...

I feel like the gal on the soundtrack (again, too lazy) has a beautiful voice (that REALLY harmonizes with Glinda on the soundtrack). Individually, though, I feel like both Elphaba and Glinda (on the soundtrack) are too similar and, let's face it, if you've spent your life being green, you need some "UMPH" in your voice - that, I feel is the defining difference. Elphaba, to me, isn't the "Little Mermaid" (although Stephanie Block can do that, too).

Sarahlynn said...

That makes sense to me, but I'll have to reserve judgement until I've actually heard the soundtrack!

Redhead Editor said...

It was fabulous, and I agree with your comments. Glad to know that not only did Elphaba win a Tony (in real life she is married to Taye Diggs which is an award all itself), but so did costumes and set design. It was breath taking!

Sarahlynn said...

Taye Diggs!

Now I'm remembering that I need to find a sitter so that we can go see Rent.