Thursday, December 01, 2005

Contemporary Worship

Ah, what a hot topic, eh? That's me, unafraid to poke at the really big controversies in the world today.

I've been noticing a huge increase in the popularity of "contemporary worship services" in traditional reformed Christian churches over the past several years. Contemporary worship is the style of worship that I most associate with conservative evangelical Christian worship services.

There are two issues to unpack: my discomfort with the service itself, and my uncomfortable associations with the style. First, the prettier part, my concerns about the service itself.

This is a bit complex. I'm not a complete stick-in-the-mud traditionalist. I *love* Avery & Marsh. I prefer the UCC's use of inclusive language in hymns, especially the Doxology (side-by-side with the traditional version).

But I hate the "praise music" heard at most contemporary services. Why? At first I thought it was because it all sounded the same, and none of it is set to the glorious strains of real music (Bach, et al). Then I realized that there's more to it. The lyrics are all about, "Praise Jesus! We love Jesus!"

That's fine, of course. But shouldn't there be a bit more? Shouldn't a hymn sound notably different from a Top 40 hit (where you could substitute "girl" for "Jesus" and have the song make just as much sense)?

Shouldn't we talk more about God, more about why Jesus is so great, rather than just blathering on about the love-for-Him part? And we shouldn't just talk about what Jesus did, either. I believe that what we do, how we live our lives, is more important than the specifics of what we believe.

Right, so the music is a big issue. Most of the rest of the service is OK. At our church, we have the same clergy officiating, the same sermon, the same scriptures read aloud in both the traditional and contemporary services. So there's no problem with the message or the messenger. I'm also not rejecting the stupid projection screen out of hand. I hate the look of modern technology in church (the comfort of the familiar in worship and the exclusion of the distractions of everyday life are important to me). But as (my) Paul allows, there is something to be said for getting everyone's heads up out of their hymnals.

The other thing that really bothers me about the style of the service is the praise team standing up front with their microphones. This is the segue into the uncomfortable associations bit, but first I want to note that I don't like looking at the praise team. To me, they look like performers. I don't like clapping for soloists on the chancel steps who look like they're singing on stage, and I don't like everyone staring at the praise team like they're rock stars on tour. To me this reeks of idolatry or something - I'm still working on it - and I prefer to contemplate the cross, the stained glass, the arched ceiling, the ministers bent over their hymnals, anything other than these smiling performers.

I don't quite know what to say about the style and my prejudices. I see the praise teams' arms go up and eyes go closed, and I'm tuned out. I'm expecting slick ministers who've never been to seminary but have the glorious gift of gab, telling me that I'll burn in hell for voting pro-choice. I'm still working on this, but it's a long, uphill slog.

Can't we be contemporary, evolve with the times, engage our youth, and still do it right? Still be Presbyterian?

8 comments:

Penny L. Richards said...

Right there with you, sister. Presby too. And a thirtysomething mom with a husband and two little kids, willing to teach Sunday school--pretty much the target audience for these efforts to "appeal to the young families"--so why do I find them so unappealing? (I won't even try to explain the church where the monthly "Contemporary Worship" means a dixieland band and hippie songs. Yeah, that'll work.) Like you, it comes down to the music and lyrics just not being very good, and the visuals of such services being too concert-like. (Should I bring my lighter for the benediction?)

ccw said...

I agree with you. I like the idea of a service that is not stuffy and everyone feels welcome to "come as you are", but at some point it seems to have turned in to something like you described and I just cannot bring myself to be completely ok with a service like that.

paulboal said...

You know I agree... but I can't believe you suggested that we should be doing it right! I like our churches building project slogan: building for the future, continuing the tradition!

flatflo said...

This topic is something I have thought a lot about. I grew up in an ELCA church (Lutheran with pretty liberal policies) that has a rich musical history: full organ with talented music director, adult choir every Sunday, children's choir for special occasions, St. Louis Symphony musicians playing on feast days and hired soloists. Bach can give me shivers. I have the Hallelujah Chorus for my cell phone ringtone. This is the music that moves me, in which I feel the spirit.
As an adult I have returned to the church as a member because I do not feel at home at the churches with contemporary services. This church does have a Sunday eveing service for college student or anybody looking for the "Jesuit music" as my mother calls it. I've attended a few times because it works with my schedule, but I prefer to drag myself out of bed in order to enjoy the traditional services and their uplifting, expressive music.

Sarahlynn said...

Penny - exactly! I am the target audience and they're missing me. Surely that should give my opinion some weight?

Paul, you mean, we should be doing it "left?" Heh.

Laura - That's exactly my thing with the music. Our church has 3 sevices every Sunday: a communion service, a traditional service, and a contemporary service. So far, this is working great and meeting most people's needs . . . except when we have a combined service that's in the contemporary style. I can't believe that Ellie's already old enough to be in the youngest children's choir, either. She loves it. Which ELCA church are you attending?

flatflo said...

I attend Bethel Lutheran, right next to Wash U. As a teenager I enjoyed some of the contemporary music, probably my version of rebellious behavior. But I quickly outgrew it!

Psycho Kitty said...

Oh, I am so totally of the same mind as you. I actually seize up in such services, and it's all because of bad associations. I prefer the Methodism of my childhood--beauty in form and music. It's just more soothing to me. But then I know that *that* makes some folks uncomfortable, so you know, to each his/her own. But even in the "traditional" services, people applaud after music sometimes, and I just can't (unless it's the little kids choir, and then I do). Not that I don't appreciate it, but it just seems weird to me.

Sarahlynn said...

Laura, I've heard good things about that church! A good friend of mine used to go there years ago. And not *all* of the contemporary music is awful. I quite enjoy some of it.

PK - are you me?!

And, yeah, I don't expect people to applaud when I drop my offering into the plate, or volunteer in the nursery. To me, the singing is along the same lines: it's an offering. But I've been known to clap along to avoid guilt. And for kids, of course.