Sunday, February 18, 2007

Other Writing

I haven't been posting as much lately, and it's not because I've nothing to say. It's not even entirely because of the new baby. It's hard to make time to sit at the computer when we have company in the house, and my mother-in-law was here for more than 2 weeks. My father-in-law was also here for a while, and my mother is currently visiting.

The best marriage and family therapist I've ever worked with (also the only, but that's not to suggest that she's not wonderful) gave Paul and me some creative homework. We've been having a hard time finding time and space to communicate with each other, given our houseful of guests. So our therapist is emailing us discussion-starter questions, for which we use a general template to write our answers. Then we email our responses to each other, and we have general directions for how to read and respond.

This might not be textbook therapy (I have no idea what textbook therapy would look like anyway) but it's certainly serving as a relief valve for my frustrations.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Just wanted to say that I understand where you're coming from. MrDelany and I were in couples therapy for the last year, and the therapist kept harping on communication so much that I finally fired her. We're looking into John Gottman's book and finding that it outlines our behavior to a T.

http://tinyurl.com/2gf96o

Best of luck!

-Delany

Sarahlynn said...

Thanks for the link, Delany. If I decide that I can rebuild a relationship with this man, we might look into that book.

Right now, our sessions with our therapist are like life preservers for me. When we miss a week, I get a bit panicky and very unhappy. After a session, I can breathe (and smile) again for a while. I don't know if it's healthy, but it's helping me get by.