Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hearts and Things

Ellie had her annual visit with her cardiologist yesterday, and it went very well. How wonderfully appropriate for Valentine's! She still has the same little valve leakages but nothing new and nothing significant.

She did not want to be at the doctor's office, and the visit started poorly. Then awesome Dr. Sharkey came in wearing a "scary mask" (she has a bad cold). Assessing Ellie's mood (and possibly notes from the nurse and pediatric cardiology fellow who had already tried to examine her) the doctor took Ellie's new sheet of Dora the Explorer stickers away, promising more, and stuck them all over her face mask and Ellie's shirt.

Then she listened to Ellie's heart while asking her questions like, "Who's on my nose? Is it Swiper the Fox?" It totally worked. I totally love that doctor.

As for Valentine's Day, I don't know. I see a package on the counter addressed to me from UMSL-KWMU. From this I surmise that I'm getting something from the For The Love of KWMU local NPR station fund drive from Paul. That's appropriate.

So far, I don't even have a card for anyone. I'm thinking of taking the year off. Since my mother-in-law is here and running the kitchen, I'm even freed from making a festive cake. Or a heart-shaped meatloaf covered in ketchup like last year. A pizza with the pepperoni in the shape of a heart like the year before. Etc.

I put Ada in a red sleeper today and am wearing a red sweater myself. I drove Ellie to school and set out the Valentine's cards she prepared with her Nana. And that's about as much Valentine's spirit as I can muster just now. I think it's plenty.

Oh. Speaking of Nana. That's her in the picture below, holding matching Ada and Ellie. Paul's mom. Not Paul. Though I did appreciate the chuckle.

3 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

I shared in your chuckle!

Sarahlynn said...

I guess I need to post more pictures of Paul! He's been trying to think of something to post in response, but I think he's a bit speechless. I'm still chuckling!

(For the record, Paul and his mom do look a lot alike. With some notable differences.)

I ended up going shopping at Starbucks last night. I got Paul a card, some chocolate, and a Starbucks card so that he can maintain his venti mocha no-whip habit. I just had to wait for the spirit to move me.

paulboal said...

I look like my mother!?!?
Only because we're both large and tall people. Mom's 6 feet tall with a size 12 foot. We're not too offended, though. It was definitely a good chuckle.