Tuesday, February 20, 2007

4 weeks

Ada is 4 weeks old today! She has the most amazing toothless grins, especially as she's falling asleep. I love when she cracks her dark blue/grey/hazel eyes open just a little, sees me looking at her, smiles, and closes her eyes again, completely relaxed. Can there be any better feeling than that?

She obliged me by sleeping a lot today, mostly in bed next to me. (Yesterday she took two 2+ hour naps in her crib. That's in the nursery. Across the hall from our room, where she usually sleeps in the bedside co-sleeper.)

I too slept a lot today, and Paul worked from home, doing much of the Ellie care and changing Ada periodically. Fortunately, this seems to have been a very short stomach bug, the best kind. Now that Ellie and I are feeling better, here's hoping that Paul and Ada don't get sick.

Anyway, Ada is already changing so much. Primarily, there's the smiling, but also the fact that she's getting fat! I love it. She was born long and lean and strong, but now she's getting rolls on her thighs, an additional chin, even plumping up her hands and feet. Since I am her sole source of nourishment, I take an enormous sense of satisfaction from this. Her early cries ("Caw!" Like a crow) are growing to include more lovely baby coos. She now loves peekaboo.

She still has her little umbilical cord stump. It's supposed to have fallen off by now, so I'll call the pediatrician later this week. But I'm not too worried because it doesn't seem at all unhealthy or infected. My sister's baby was terribly dehydrated and lost her stump almost immediately. Ada doesn't seem all dehydrated! I think she just wants to hold onto all aspects of womb life for as long as possible.

Despite the fact that Ada is a winter newborn who sometimes sleeps in bed with me and has an older sister who exposes her to all kinds of preschool germs (a cold and stomach bug already), none of those is my primary worry.

In fact, Ada seems so healthy and happy and wonderful, it's hard to worry about her at all.

What I worry about is Ada with Ellie. I think Ada smiled in response to Ellie's voice today. I hope she did. Normally, as Ellie gets too close and reaches for Ada, Ada (not unreasonably) grimaces and flinches, often fussing until Ellie goes away.

Ellie is going to love Ada, strongly and forever. I want Ada to love Ellie too. I want Ada to love Ellie, care for her, protect her, share friends with her, take care of her, be there for her forever. I want her not to resent her big sister, to do all these things for her because she loves her, not because she feels like she has to.

It's a tricky line to walk, as their parent. I need to allow Ada alone time with her friends, and ask her to include Ellie at other times. I need to encourage Ada to do right by her sister, but not instill such a sense of responsibility that she feels resentful.

I love both of my daughters, and I want nothing more than for them to love each other. I look forward to the day when they have a special relationship that doesn't include me, when they start whispering to each other, staying up late and sharing secrets, growing up together.

This is what I worry about, what I hope and pray for.

4 comments:

ccw said...

I'm glad you and Ellie are beginning to feel better.

I don't think there is anything to say that can take away your worry. All I can say is that I cannot imagine that either of your daughters will ever be truly resentful of one another because you are a wonderful mother. Your kindness shows them how to love and respect one another and they will carry your lessons with them always.

Jessica said...

This post is so touching to me...

My sister and I are 8 years apart and I remember all the times my mother forced me to take her with me. I could never make it out the door before hearing, "Jessica - take Sarah, too!" I reacted by being mean to her while she was in my care - bullying her in front of my friends. Even at 11 years old (when she was about 3), it broke my heart when my mother met me at the door with her in tow only to see Sarah trying to wriggle free as she backed up, looked at me with hurt eyes and repeatedly shook her head "no". In that moment, I wanted her to come with me - I wanted the opportunity to be nice to her...to undo all that I had created.

Typically, all of this effort was so my mom could drink, though - so I hardly think you have anything to worry about (grin).

I'm sure Ada will love Ellie for who she is - it's simply impossible not to.

Camera Obscura said...

Like all "normal" siblings, whether their sibs are special needs or not, there will be times when she doesn't want to be with Ellie and times when she defends her to the world aggressively.

Their relationship will change all of their lives, and not even begin to settle down until Ada is an adult. Live, love, and handle things as they come. Worrying about something you cannot do anything about at the present moment is not good.

Sarahlynn said...

Thanks, CCW. I really really hope so.

Jessica, as another older sister who babysit early (I started when I was about 9) I think that your resentment was completely reasonable. And my mother was just going out for jogs (or helping out at church, or . . .) not drinking. And I loved my sisters. But still.

Camera, I know. But I do think that being mindful of the possible ramifications of my actions in these early years can help avoid some of the disaster scenarios.

Jess, I hope so. But when I find myself so depressed or tired that I just want to escape into a book all afternoon (not so different than Jessica's mom's bottle, above, really) I worry about how I'm letting them down, rather than teaching them.