Monday, February 12, 2007

Braids

Last week, Paul braided Ellie's hair for the first time. This is significant because she, very much unlike me, hates to have her hair brushed or styled. We do quick and ugly princess ponytails most mornings, frequently while pinning her squirming body between our thighs. If I want to do something fancy, like two princess ponytails with straight parts, it's usually a two-adult job. She was in an unusually compliant mood one evening, so Paul made his first daughter hair braiding attempt. Here's the result:
From 2007-02


I don't think I ever told you about the braiding class we took a couple of years ago. Technically, Paul took the class; I was just his model. I didn't want to be the only one who knew how to style our daughters' hair, so we enrolled in a course at a local community college.

All the other students came with plastic heads or cheap wigs on styrofoam models; Paul had me. Since I love to have people play with my hair, it was a lovely morning for me - right up until the part where he wanted me to leave his handiwork in place after we left campus. Then it was just embarrassing.

All the other students were women, of course.

And, at this particular urban campus, all of the other students were also black.

They got a real kick out of Paul's presence in the class, and he got a kick out of the attention and positive feedback. And especially the (presumably joking) salon job offer from the instructor.

Unsurprisingly, the braiding we learned was not exactly the braiding I'd had in mind. Still, I was impressed with Paul's quick aptitude with the "natural strand twist," and also impressed that my hair could hold such a style.

We didn't learn anything particularly useful (we'd have had to go back for the intermediate and advanced classes to be able to actually apply the braiding skills we'd seen in the beginners class). But it was fun. And pretty funny, too.

I'm no good at braiding either. Hopefully Ellie will develop a proficiency at it before her little sister has enough hair to braid.
From 2007-02

5 comments:

Orange said...

Good gravy, but that girl has got herself a beautiful head of golden hair!

Rob Monroe said...

I learned the braiding techniques at camp several years ago. I only hope that I can pull those skills out at the right time! Anny is going to cut her hair short again, so I won't be practicing any time soon!

Such cuties!

(oh, and great shot of your sucker-fish, nay, sucker-shark in the background!)

ccw said...

I love the idea of Paul taking a braiding class.

(I love the pics of Ellie asleep on the chair. She is precious)

Sarahlynn said...

Orange, that's undeniably true, and I have no idea where she gets it! Paul and I both have dark brown hair, as do our parents, though our dads were both blond as young children. And Paul has a very blond sister. Some interesting recessive gene popping up in Ellie, I guess.

Rob, we all love that you zoomed in on the sucker-shark.

SeasonalKat, it's fortunate that "natural" and "messy" hairstyles are fashionable now. So you're all set!

CCW, me too! It was so adorable. Ellie went into the nursery, turned on the crib mobile for a bit of soothing music, and fell right asleep in that chair. I love it.

kdevereaux said...

Keep up the good work! Check out some braided styles that I have accomplished at http://braidsbykristen.blogspot.com/