Sunday, February 04, 2007

All About Ada

When Ada was born, Paul tells me that she came out with her eyes wide open, looking around.

She could hold her own head up immediately. When her pediatrician came by to see her the next morning, she pulled Ada up to sit by her arms. Ada kept her head nicely in-line with her body. Already! Not even a day old.

It's almost disturbing the way she has my mother-in-law's long, narrow feet.

Ada's ears look like they're about the same size as Ellie's. Yes, Ellie's ears right now, at age 3.

Ada cluster feeds. By this I mean that she sometimes goes from breast to breast with no more than 10-50 minute breaks in between (if any) . . . for 4 or 5 hours at a time. Then, just when I'm about to fall into a pit of despair that she will never be full, that I'm not producing enough milk, she'll pop right off the breast, smiling and drooling milk, and sleep for 4 or 5 hours. (I'm thinking this might be a "growth spurt.")

Paul says that she has his chin. She has my dad's nose and ears. I take credit for her coloring. Despite all that, somehow, she's really quite cute!

Nothing on earth smells as wonderful as a milky baby.

At every stage of Ellie's life so far, I've said that this is my favorite part. I'm not saying that I've been wrong, but on the other hand, I had forgotten how much fun it is to have a newborn around.

And the baby care is all so very much easier and less stressful this time!

On the other hand, the juxtaposition between what my marriage was last time we had a baby versus what it is now is heartbreaking.

1 comment:

Redhead Editor said...

This is heartbreaking. Maybe cuz I've been there. Now coming out of it. Be well, SL.