Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Oink Oink Sneeze Cough

Ada had a low-grade fever for a few days a week and a half ago. It went away. Then she developed a chesty cough. That's improving, but now she's got a runny nose. So do I, actually, and I feel a little off, like I have a fever (but I don't; I keep checking). Ellie, meanwhile, looks like she feels bad, and her appetite is way down, but she's not complaining of anything and indeed keeps denying that she's sick.

Paul is fine. (Except for his bad back. About which I am relatively unsympathetic because he doesn't follow the stretching regimen prescribed by the PT. When he does the exercises, he says that they help, but he just can't commit to doing them regularly enough to actually cure the problem.)

Anyway, it's a lousy time to be sick. Not because we have so much going on this week - it's a regular-sized week for us - but because the anxious lady inside of me is half-convinced that we all have the swine flu. Except for Paul, of course. He just has a bad back. Regardless of the cause, we're all a little irritable.

The anxious lady inside of me is all panicked about cancer again, too. It's just . . . everywhere. I've even woken up panicking in the middle of the night a time or two. Which wouldn't be so bad except that it's exactly what happened when I was pregnant with Ellie and just had this feeling that all was not well. (It wasn't.)

Go away, little colds, go away. And leave us happy, healthy, well, and ready for summer.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Claire has the runny nose and cough thing going on, too. Her great-aunt Roz has a real "whiskey voice" so we're calling her Mini Roz until she gets well. It's very weird to hear Kathleen Turner's voice coming out of a two year old's body.

I'm confident that we're not going to all die of swine flu. Remember SARS? Killer bees? Sharks? They do this to us every once in a while, just to keep us afraid and buying things. Fear not. REM will let us know if it is, in fact, the end of the world as we know it.

Hugs,
Amy

Sarahlynn said...

I love hoarse toddlers! They're the cutest things in the whole wide world!

I wasn't worried about dying from Swine Flu, either, until I read some stuff on the CDC's website, including mention of an otherwise healthy, pregnant 32-year-old woman who died . . . and that was just about enough for me.

Sarahlynn said...

Of course, people die all the time from regular old flu, too. So I'm currently not panicking.

Rob Monroe said...

I saw that something like 13,000 people died of the regular flu this season. I certainly didn't hear anything about those until this thing came up.

My wife and your hubby must be related. :o) Anny's back has been bothering her of late - something about hauling around a 30 pound child - and knows it feels relief when she stretches, but she rarely stretches. Oh well. If only they had a connection we could identify and get them both to do it!

Sarahlynn said...

Say, do you think they get it from their mother?

(Hi, Carol! Teasing, here!)

My 27 pound child has taken to telling me, "I heavy," which is really only true when one is carrying her for extended periods of time . . .