Thursday, April 23, 2009

Loaves and Fishes

Easter Sunday was nearly two weeks ago, but one of my daughters is still celebrating by wearing her Easter hat. Clearly, she understands that the season of Easter lasts 7 weeks, until Pentecost. (For the near-nudity, I have no liturgical justification.)


What can I say? My child clearly has her own fashion-sense.


AJ, the 6-months-old son of good friends, was baptized last Sunday. For no good reason, I decided to knit him a stuffed fish to mark the occasion. This monstrosity turned out to be ridiculously time-consuming and surprisingly large. I spent a few nearly sleepless nights before finally finishing the blasted thing . . . during the service. I've never knitted through a sermon before and probably won't do so again, but I sure enjoyed it. It was nice for my hands to have something (more fun and productive than the children's activity sheet) to do while I was listening. I wanted to have the gift ready before brunch, and I made it. Sadly, I failed to take any pictures of the dubious achievement before handing it over.

I was distracted by other things, like this cuteness. Ellie loves AJ. She got to hold him at the hospital on the day he was born, and she still asks to hold him at every opportunity, which everyone thinks is precious.


Possibly frustrating my friend, however, other people (read: her family members and in-laws) kept feeding her baby non-approved foods. Like cake.


Overly exuberant fish, friends, food - hopefully, he'll survive. And thrive. And continue to be blessed.

8 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

He's a cutie - looks like a real person in the last shot!

I'm not surprised that Ada has clung to her Easter hat weeks later. I would use the word "obsessed" about it after seeing it with her Sunday Dress. :o)

ccw said...

A whole lot of cute kids!

Stacy Nyikos said...

I love the fashion sense pic. My 7 year old has that same gloriously colorful patterned, put it all together and shout fashion style. We're trying to work on just one pattern at a time, but she sneaks in as many as she can, socks, underwear, the whole nine yards. She keeps me hopping.

Jessica said...

I adore these pics!!!!

Isn't it time for me to babysit again? Or, at least, come have you prepare food for me?

;)

Sarahlynn said...

Rob, like his dad, seriously! Ada's simply hat-obsessed. She wore a Minnie Mouse baseball cap - complete with ears and bow - all morning at the zoo today.

CCW, I think they are, too!

Stacy, it's hilarious, isn't it? In my girls' music class we often sing a song about the colors the kids wear, and one girl comes in the craziest outfits, intentionally ensuring that she's in every single verse.

Jessica, a week from Tuesday (the 5th) works for me. Does it work for you?

Tracey said...

Ada and Adrienne went to fashion school together! :)

Sarahlynn said...

They do sound like they're a lot alike. :)

Book club was fun tonight, btw, and we missed you! We have a new member, who was an alternate for the 1996 US Olympic softball team!

Tracey said...

I would have had much more fun at book club than listening to children screaming their heads off at MickeyD's where I took them to try and regain my sanity while D golfed. I hope I can make the next one!