Thursday, April 16, 2009

New Caledonia


We made a pit stop at a rest area in Cheyenne County Nebraska, just west of Sidney. Not quite soon enough, as it turned out. But while Paul and Ellie were using the facilities, Ada and I were exploring the place. We tossed sand in the sand pit, examined the painted cement turtle, and stuck our heads through the curved peek-a-boo wall. Then we wandered over to check out a "big rock" memorial and talk about it for a while. After that, I wanted to read the sign at the observation overlook so we started up that path. We didn't quite make it, because I was unnerved by the loud rattling noises I was hearing from the tall grass not far from the walkway, especially given the numerous signs warning of local rattlesnakes. It was probably just insects, but . . .

Anyway, while traveling out west, we ran into a few places that weren't quite where I expected them to be. Like Cheyenne County in NEBRASKA (not far from Cheyenne, Wyoming). And Sidney, Nebraska, rather than Sydney, in Australia.

We also saw Lusk, Wyoming, which is very different from the village of Luss, which we visited in Scotland two years ago.
http://www.luskwyoming.com/parade.jpg

And Glendo reservoir, which is far in every way from Glencoe.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&um=1&sa=1&q=glendo+reservoir&btnG=Search+Images&aq=0&oq=glendo+res


We also found Caledonia where I did not expect it.

I love traveling.

11 comments:

Stacy Nyikos said...

Oh man, it took me a minute to wrap my head around where you were. I was so in Australia there for a second. Sigh. Wishful thinking on my part. I love to travel too!

brooke said...

depending on how tired i am when i'm driving to or from oregon sometimes bliss, idaho is bliss, but other times it is the very opposite. and i'll tell ya, mountain home [idaho] is not a mountain home.. logan is more of a mountain home than that place is. ;-D

Sarahlynn said...

I just had a conversation with a woman whose children are about the same ages as mine, who just got back from a 5000 mile trip to see S. California, New Mexico, and Arizona. With the kids and only 3 DVDs! Insane!!! Also - I'm jealous.

Brooke - hah! With town and subdivision names, Paul and I often talk about wanting to institute a statute REQUIRING the name to resemble reality in some obvious way.

Krupskaya said...

I lived in Sidney! In fact, I went back there a couple years ago when we took a family trip to Ft. Robinson, which is a couple hours north or Sidney.

Krupskaya said...

Of. North of. And we did it with the kids and no DVDs!

Sarahlynn said...

Krupskaya, I had no idea! I've driven through Sidney so many times! I've spent the night in a rest area (just east of town) and gas station just off I80. We've taken the kids to play outside of Cabela's. And of course we've sampled heavily of the local quick service meal options. Small world!

Referring back to taking the kids to Cabela's to play - are there any PARKS in Sidney? Near the interstate?

Krupskaya said...

Well, all of Sidney is pretty close to the interstate...Legion park is the big city park...you get off on Hwy 19, take a left on Old Post Road, a right on 11th Ave, and you go almost a mile into town. It's big, shady and has lots of places to run around.

I just looked at Google Street and found you can see my old house! Bizarre! I lived there from when I was a baby to when I was almost five, and then we used to go back every fall for the Oktoberfest there.

And I know that rest area east of town!

Barrie said...

I definitely do not do enough traveling. In fact, this post makes me want to grab up my kids and get behind the wheel. :)

Sarahlynn said...

Krupskaya, thank you! (With Google Maps Street View you can read my license plate. And I just listened to a talk by an FBI guy talking about how lame Google is compared to the government's satellite views. Gulp.)

Barrie, you should do it! It's awesome! I even pause at roadside attractions like those my parents my parents used to torture me with as a teenager. Of course it's more fun today with in-car entertainments systems. Big kids can play Nintendo Wii on the road! Or at least watch videos and listen to their iPods.

And if you find a way to drive to Scotland, let me know. I'd love to go back but am petrified of the plane ride as my children get more . . . energetic. I'm currently just fantasizing about a high speed train that crosses Nebraska while letting me stay in my car, napping.

datri said...

I just LOVE road trips! Especially stopping at rest areas and roadside attractions! We just came back from a 10 hour road trip, NY to OH.

Sarahlynn said...

Priceless memories!