Sunday, June 22, 2008

Wee Bonny Lassies at Play

We spent the weekend in Chicago (technically, Oak Brook) for the Illinois St. Andrews Society annual Scottish Festival and Highland Games.

It was a reunion, of sorts, for my whole family (my parents, my sisters, our husbands, and the three grandkids) on the anniversary of our trip to Scotland last summer.

Oak Brook is a lovely area, the Games were fun, and we had a wonderful time. It was great getting tipsy with my parents, sister, and brother-in-law in the hotel bar after the girls had gone to bed. It was great having the whole family together. (*more below)

Sleeping in a single hotel room is not great, though. Ada doesn't sleep as well as she does at home, and when she wakes I'm too quick to go get her - not allowing her as much time to soothe herself back to sleep as I would here - because I'm worried about her waking her sister and all the neighbors.

So the first night we got up at 2:30 (!!) and the second night at 4:30 (!) Both sucked, of course. I'm tired, and bedtime with Ellie was a bit rough tonight. But hopefully we'll be back on what passes for our regular schedule tomorrow.

(*this is below) It was especially great to see my niece, Arria, and to watch her interacting with my kids. Arria was born the day after Adelaide, so they'll always have that special bond. And, in surprising news (to all!) my sister is due again early next year, around the time that Arria and Adelaide turn 2.

I should mention that this was not the sister with whom I was getting tipsy at the bar.

And that I am not pregnant along with her this time.

Kissing cousins


Sisters


More sisters

7 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

Great pictures and congrats to your sister!!

Sarahlynn said...

Thank you!

Tracey said...

SO CUTE! I love the kissing cousins photo. Is Arria's name pronounced like the operatic Aria?

Sarahlynn said...

Yes; it's spelled unusually because it's a family name. : )

And, thanks!

Tracey said...

Clearly I enjoy "A" names myself, but I've not heard that one before. It is lovely.

Alison Kerr said...

I see that you are fond of my original homeland. It was fun to read some of your posts :-)

Sarahlynn said...

We all LOVE Scotland.

I'm glad to "meet" you! Thank you for dropping by!