Friday, June 27, 2008

'Tis the Never-Ending Season

Things younger than Republican Presidential candidate (oh, and did I forget to mention war hero?) John McCain

"Am I being 'age-ist'? Maybe. But maybe not. The world is a pretty complicated place right now and I’m thinking that it’s not such a great time to elect our oldest President ever. So sue me."

Back in 2000, I had some favorable impressions of John McCain. The whole "Straight Talk Express" approach was one I found refreshing. I got really really angry by what Bush's campaign did to McCain in South Carolina.

I got even angrier when McCain turned around, let Bush put an arm around his shoulders, and stood by that President for the next 8 years.

And now I know that he is willing to say and do just about anything to get elected. I have no idea what McCain really does stand for, let alone what he'd actually do while in office. I used to think he was a moderate, but after perusing his voting record I realize that was just more pretty packaging.

I'm rather left with the impression that he just wants to be President.

Witness:


And that doesn't even touch on his anger management issues.

6 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

Don't forget "I don't really know much about finances."

You want to be president? Maybe spend part of one of your years learning about math.

Argh.

Krupskaya said...

Plus what he did to his first wife. Argh.

Sarahlynn said...

Rob, what's worse is pretending to understand when it suits him ("I have experience!") but not when it doesn't ("Well, I's not an expert . . . "). Complete lack of integrity.

Krupskaya, I hadn't heard about what he did, just that he always takes responsibility for the divorce (that part is refreshing). So I googled it, and ugh.

For those who don't know the story, look here. There are pictures! (And if that bottom pictures is of a "fat" and "disfigured" woman, well . . .)

I just read the Newsweek article about him doing much the same thing to his current wife (not there while she had her stroke and relearned how to walk).

Makes me think even less of his "integrity" and "character development" over the past 30 years.

Mary's List said...

I too was disappointed in McCain's change of character it seems. Wasn't he the guy that stuck with an unpopular stance? I enjoy your blog.

Sarahlynn said...

Thanks, Mary! It's always disillusioning when those who seemed to be different turn out to be just the same, after all, isn't it?

Margaret said...

I used to admire McCain too, until he climbed in bed with Bush. I hadn't heard about the wives. Hmmm...I wasn't voting for him anyway!