Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Bulb syringe

And there shall be much rejoicing in all the land!

Ellie is 17 months old and has learned the "art" of blowing her nose when I hold a tissue up against it. And even when there's no tissue in the vicinity. Soon there shall be no more need for the bulb syringe!

Of course, I won't promise to stop picking the dry, tauntingly visible boogers out of her nose until she can run fast enough to escape me or learns to do it herself, whichever happens second.

See how I'm looking on the bright side of the cold that's kept Ellie home for the past two gorgeous days?

5 comments:

Redhead Editor said...

We referred to that glorious blue plastic object "the snot sucker." When I took it home from the hospital after the birth of my 1st daughter, I thought, "Oh gross, I will never use that." Then your kid is the glazed donut child and the snot sucker becomes the most wonderful invention ever. Good for you, Ellie.

Psycho Kitty said...

I am so glad that I am not the only one trying to pick her child's nose. Motherhood, thy name is grossness.

Krupskaya said...

We called it the Booger Snifter (I have no idea why it was the snifter, not the sniffer, or swiffer). I used it so often on John that when he saw it coming, he'd lie there quietly. Maia, on the other hand...

Orange said...

We called it the snorfler.

Ellie is very precocious! Ben didn't grasp the blowing-out aspect of blowing his nose until at least 3 1/2, and he's reasonably neurotypical.

Sarahlynn said...

Franchini, that's not trouble! That's wonderful (not getting sick).

Ellen, we call it the "snot sucker" too, and Paul loved your "glazed doughnut" bit.

Orange, I guess Ellie is "neurotypical" in that she's not autistic, but she is (or will be, most likely) developmentally delayed. Oh, I can't think about that tonight. I did wonder when typically developing kids figure this stuff out.

Ellie is at a stage where she thinks that everything to do with this cold is hilarious. Blowing her nose into the kleenex is oh-so-fun. She'll pull out tissues just to fake blow (2 days ago she was still in the pull them out, tear them up, and eat them stage).

And the funniest thing in the whole wide world to her is a fake sneeze. She'll just laugh and laugh if Paul or I fake sneeze.