Thursday, January 20, 2005

Phase 2

I did some things today that I haven't done in a long time. I set an alarm. I woke up early (read: before I wanted to, but not before the baby). I took a shower. I wore makeup, earrings, brand-spanking-new clothes, and shoes that don't just slip on (beautiful boots, in fact).

I nursed the baby, laid out an outfit for her to wear, kissed her and her daddy goodbye, and went to work. To work! To work! I went to work!

During our little re-orientation session, my new boss (and former colleague/coworker) asked me a question. He interrupted my answer to say, "This isn't an interview. You don't have to-"

"I know. But I'm just so happy to be back. I love this job. I really do."

I am so glad that I was able to stay home with Ellie for 15 months. I know how fortunate I was to be able to do that. But I really really wanted something for me, something outside the house, something to exercise my brain in the way that work did, something that I'm really good at and gives me a sense of power, something that will help me feel like I'm making some money, too. Plus, I love what I used to do. And I've got the perfect opportunity to do it.

A few months ago, my old boss called me. "You know how you said you'd like to work part time? Did you mean it?"

"Absolutely!" (Never display doubt. You can always renege later.)

"This hasn't been approved yet, but it's a pretty sure thing. How's this sound: 3 mornings a week in the office. No working from home, including checking email and voice mail. No travel. Your own office. The same title and position you had before (but one subject area rather than 9). More money per hour than you were making when you left (if you break out my former salary into an hourly wage)." No benefits, of course, but that would be too good to be true.

Can you tell that she's a mom too? And that she wished she'd been able to stay at home for a while when her kids were little? And that she thinks that women should help each other out in the workplace? I do love her. So, yeah. I'm back at work. Today went great. I love it. Ask me again on Friday, when Ellie is alone at "preschool" and her daddy doesn't take the morning off work to stay with her in her classroom all morning.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Congratulations, Sarahlynn - I'm very happy for you! I know how much this means to you.

Psycho Kitty said...

Oh, I hope your day is fantastic! Friday will probably be hard, but it will get better. I feel just like you do about the work situation, and so I say--I'm so happy for you! Welcome back!

Sarahlynn said...

Thank you all! Trisha, I don't know if I have marketable skills . . . but I have a lot of confidence in an interview! Heaven knows why they hired me in the first place. But I love what I do and I think I've become good at it. :)

Hazelnut said...

Rub it in, why don't you! :p
Just kidding. I'm really glad. You totally deserve it, but I think you are also really lucky. I'm hearing more about opportunities like this lately, but not enough. I thought I had it made being able to work part-time at home, but then work slowed down. Then my boss got fired. The new boss doesn't like using freelancers, and doesn't bother to find out how long we've even been there or who we are. I am TOTALLY bitter. But anyway. :) Enjoy it! I mean it!