Tuesday, April 27, 2010

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

that my kids say:


After two solid days of trying to convince Paul and me to go out on a date so they could stay home with a babysitter, the girls gave up and tried a new tactic.  "OK, now Ada and Ellie go out on a date. Mommy and Daddy stay here with Janelle!"  Tempting . . .

"Shoe-kick" is Ellie for music.  And it's wonderfully descriptive, don't you agree?

"Some-evabody" is Ada for both somebody and everybody, depending on context.

"Assinick" is Ada for accident.  It's pronounced "ass-in-ick."  And again, I say, these kids are powerfully good with description.  I could learn from them.  (As a sidenote, let me explain that Ada believes that a "car accident" is a messy result of two cars slamming into one another. See illustration, above, for the source of her confusion. Go, Dog. Go!)

Have I mentioned that Ada's two stuffed dinosaurs are named "Bite" and "Chewy," respectively?

Today, Ellie had her annual visit with her cardiologist.  (It went very well.)  At one point, as the doctor listened to Ellie's chest and described what she was doing/observing, Ellie said, "Just like a scientist!"

Just like a scientist, indeed.

It's all linguistics over here.

3 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

Abby is currently refusing some words in songs.

"Once Upon a Dream" from Sleeping Beauty ends with "I know you, that look in your eyes is so HUGLY to me." Has to be hugly, not "familiar" or "ugly" or you get in trouble.

"Baa Baa Black Sheep have you any MORE? Yesir, yesir, three bags full" is another funny one.

Yet when we "Go Fly a Kite" she is sure to get it to the atmosphere with no question.

Kids are awesome!

Kathy G said...

I loved these!

We didn't hire a babysitter much when our kids were young, but when the Youngest got old enough to stay at home by himself (15-16) he'd insist that DH and I go out every Saturday night. That was his time to make a frozen pizza and channel surf!

Sarahlynn said...

Kathy, I think that's the draw for my girls, too. What's in that frozen pizza that makes it so appealing?!

Rob, love it!